Annual code P0377 (EGR Pressure Differential Sensor)

L3130

Just curious...

Am I the only one that continually experiences EGR Pressure Differential (or EGR Pressure Feedback (DPFE)) sensor failures?

About 15 years ago the original Ford sensor died and a replacement was purchased through Autozone with lifetime warranty. They last about 6 to 18 months before the engine code is tripped. This equates to less than 6,000 miles of operation. I'm guessing the Duralast SU243 sensor is of inferior quality and was wondering if anyone has better luck with a different brand & PN.

Please note it is definitely the sensor that fails as I clear the codes multiple times and it trips immediately afterwards. Only sensor replacement remedies the code.

:eek: The code brings me to tears knowing how difficult it is to replace. :(

Getting ready for annual PA safety & emissions inspection.

Link to sensor: https://www.autozone.com/emission-control-and-exhaust/egr-valve-pressure-sensor?filterByKeyWord=dpfe+sensor&fromString=search&isIgnoreVehicle=false

Last edited:
How many miles on the engine?

As for being the only one, I think having to replace them is common enough, but it seems odd you went thru at least ten of them on the same car, tho...

Might try a Motorcraft version, but if the engine is plugging them up, it won't matter. What else has to come apart, other than the connector and the hose on the nipple?

Ever done the intake gaskets?

Good evening

I am little confused on P0377 code. Perhaps P0327 or P0337? If so I would do the following.

Unbolt the EGR and check the passage from the EGR to the intake plenum. I would also suggest you separate the EGR from the tube for inspection but if doing so will cause damage it is not advised. Using a small pick you will likely find a grey/black oily/soft build up. Remove/clear it. Check the gray silicone tube to the sensor. Make sure it is not damaged and fits snug to sensor and EGR tube. I had the same problem on N/A 3.8L. And as KMT suggested always use Ford/Motorcraft replacement. Why? They are calibrated for the corrected EGR valve (diaphragm and spring). I found this out the hard way. For the N/A I picked up a couple of spares from the local salvage yard. I will do the same the when a EGR equipped SC is there.

When I removed a supercharger equipped EGR/tube assembly I was shocked to find the 2 bolt heads were flat instead of raised as found on the N/A. If that is your case replaced at your local hardware store with raised headed bolts of the original length. With N/A bolts you may have to cut to length. Makes removal/installation of the EGR a little easier.

Back