Engine Placement?

DrFishbone

SCCoA Member
For some reason, my engine/transmission sits further back in the rear cross member than it should. With the transmission crossmemebr installed after lowering the engine / trans into the tunnel, I have to “work” with the engine mounts to line up the bolt holes and get them threaded. It’s almost like there’s an extra inch between the transmission mount and engine mounts that wasn’t there before....anyway...anybody else encounter this? It wasn’t really an issue until tryingto install looks long tubes. One of the primaries is in contact with the steering shaft (not the rag joint - the actual shaft). Also, the upper motor mount bracket tabs are centered in the lower motor mount bracket slots. :confused:

Only thing I can think of is slot the upper motor mount holes to let the upper half of the mount (and engine) move forward a little bit.

All SC's have this problem when the motor mounts are not chrome plated. When the motor mounts have been chromed, everything just drops in and lines up so beautifully that you don't even have to use bolts to secure anything. Chrome Power.

All SC's have this problem when the motor mounts are not chrome plated. When the motor mounts have been chromed, everything just drops in and lines up so beautifully that you don't even have to use bolts to secure anything. Chrome Power.

I think you're right Duane...I have 0% chrome plating on these motor mounts. :eek:

After looking at it a little closer last night, lowering the engine may help with the header fitment. Still not sure why the mounts are in a bind though.

Could the transmission cross member be backwards. I seem to remember that the stock motor location in not centered in the car and the cross member only went on one way.

Could the transmission cross member be backwards. I seem to remember that the stock motor location in not centered in the car and the cross member only went on one way.

I’ll have to triple-check. I had modified it a little bit for my old exhaust, so it’s been installed in the same orientation for the last few years. I thought I remembered checking that last time though.

Anyone know if the auto and 5-speed crossmembers are the same? I remember comparing them in the past, but maybe I have them swapped?

I’ve not had the k-member unbolted ever and no accidents, BTW. It has to be mounting related, I think.

I just got a replacement from John Ludorf for the rusted one in my brother's car. He said they are different.

I just got a replacement from John Ludorf for the rusted one in my brother's car. He said they are different.

Yeah...as I recall they are very different (can't accidentally use the wrong one).

I checked the transmission mount / trans mount bracket / crossmember / exhaust hanger...everything was installed per the stamped direction (L/R).

Back