Rear Calipers

CougarXR/7

Ok.....quicl question......will Cobra REAR calipers bolt up/work on an SC?..These calipers are from around a 1999' to mid 2000's Cobra. My 25 year old rear calipers have finally giving up....have little interest in rebuilding them again.

rears

I have Dave's 11.65 bracket...…...I'm swapping out the mn-12 calipers for the Cobra calipers on the rear.

I believe the cobra calipers will bolt up, but the e-brake cable won’t fit to them. Personally, I would just order a couple reman’d t-bird ones and be done.

That was my biggest concern...….if I can back off the tension of the cables to mount to the calipers. Is the distance too great or the cast cable mount to big to hold the cable?

Great conversion

I did the big brake conversion last year. My first attempt was with Cobra rear calipers and it looked like there were going to be some big issues getting the rotor to line up with the caliper. The offset is too different. I ended up getting Dave's brackets, which are really well made pieces, and using my original calipers. You do have to grind a bit of clearance for the new bracket, but it's pretty minor. It all worked out great and during the brake-in (spelling intentional) process I found out how awesome the performance gain was. What an amazing cure to what I think was the SC's worst design oversight.
Oh yeah, I had to grind the inside of the OEM caliper bracket a bit to compensate for the larger rotor diameter, also.
The e-brake cable worked perfectly fine with the new setup. I think I re-routed the cable a bit differently around the sway bar, but that was about it.
Enjoy your new brakes.
Correct color.jpg

Last edited:
Back