Check Your Power Distribution Box Fuses

edspringer

Hock.........I have been having ignition problems with my 94 SC and thought it was wiring. Even though the fuses were not blown I pulled each fuse out of the Power Distribution Box (under the hood drivers side) and found three of them burnt on the accessory (wire) side. The buss bar side was fine. What happens is the crimp between the spade lug and the wire is not good and a high resistance junction is formed. When the current for the device passes through the crimp junction it heats the crimp like a small one room resistance heater you would use in your house. That caused my plastic block to melt in three places. I went to a junk yard and for $40.00 got a complete Power Distribution Box. You don't need the SC specific Power Distribution Box. I took the good wires out of the junk yard box and soldered them to the wires in the car. I re-inserted the spade lugs in the block and used some fast cure epoxy to hold them. Worked like a champ. Bottom line: you might want to check your fuses for charring.

I checked my 90 Cougar for the same thing and there were no charred fuses.

Just something other people may want to consider checking if they are having power problems like yours. I know I'm not the only SC owner to have this wire charring experience.

Ed Springer (SCCOA Member # 1496)

edspringer1@aol.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-Speed, B&M Ripper, 94 blower with 5% pulley (what a kick ass upgrade!) , 70MM TB, Headers, underdrive pulleys, no cats with Magnaflow, Magnacores, I/C fan, SCP Fresh Air Inlet, 3:27 gears, Air Bags, 94 Stock MAF.

94 Red SC Auto, Magnacores, 70MM TB, no cats with Magnaflow & turbos, SCP Fresh Air Inlet, 3:73 gears.

Back