Piston - Forged?

38SCPROJECT

I just bought a complete 89 SC engine, complete - everything... But here is my 2 questions ....

number 1, Does it have forged piston -- I would think it would/should, but I have heard (gossip) that it does not.

number 2, The mazda 5sp that is stock behind this engine..... is it reliable? I can get the tranmission to go with it but I have never worked on one (I worked for ford for a while) and wasn't sure how good of a track record it had.

thanks...

The pistons are not forged and as for the M5R2 it is a strong tranny but the syncros kinda suck. With some abuse they will go pretty fast.

crankshaft

The early 89 crankshafts were not forged. They changed them mid 89 to the forged steel crankshaft. There's a couple of ways to check to see if yours is the forged if your not sure.

how to tell

If youre looking at the chrank, typically forged cranks have a thick 'forging' line that runes horizontal to the crank, and cast cranks have a think 'casting' line

Pistons are hypereutectic (sp) and some early cranck are duracast and the others were forged. (i think)

Al

Back