Remove alternator bracket 91 SC

RS2600

I'm about to change a faulty oil pressure sender and I need to remove the alternator/power steering bracket. So far I
have remover the coil package, alternator and the IC pipe. I found two nuts by the waterpump and one bolt about 3-4"
above into the block. How many more are there and where are they located. Any other item that needs to be removed?

I think I had to replace my oil pressure sending unit, but I don't remember needing to remove the alternator bracket. I think I just removed a serpentine belt and tensioner. If I remember correctly, there is a special ratchet socket that fits snuggly over the oil pressure sending unit that makes the job easier. Otherwise I tried using a large deep-well metric socket (about 22 MM, give or take) but it was so deep we had to cut off some of the socket to make it work. The special socket only costs $10-12 from Autozone.

..special ratchet socket that fits snuggly over the oil pressure sending unit that makes the job easier. Otherwise I tried using a large deep-well metric socket (about 22 MM, give or take) but it was so deep we had to cut off some of the socket to make it work. The special socket only costs $10-12 from Autozone.

This is good advice, I think, and I would add that having the new sending unit in hand first will help you work out which socket you need to remove the old one - shop for both at the same time if you can. Might also be the thinner the socket you can find, the better. Much less work in the end over removing the entire assy. bracket ;)

Well, over in Sweden there is nowhere to get that special socket and I need to get it loose in order to get a new as they have to ordet it.
It's not a shelf item that you can compare with. So as far as I can tell, I need to get the bracket off.

Last edited:
...as far as I can tell, I need to get the bracket off.

This thread has good images of the bracket to help you identify all the bolts:
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthr...ley-reservoir-etc&highlight=accessory+bracket

Of course the accy's on the bracket present their own challenges. If you want to remove the bracket from the car entirely, removing them first can of course help.

Those include:
- coil
- intercooler tubes
- power steering pump
- alternator

The small brace from the accy. bracket to the two studs that bolt the water pump to the front timing cover presents it's own challenge. It's bolted to the accy. bracket by the power steering pump bolts, which are behind the power steering pump pulley. Might be you could leave the pump and brace on the accy. bracket, and just remove the two nuts holding the brace onto the water pump studs. Might be you could leave the power steering lines attached and just swing the accy. bracket to the side and get onto the sender. Might be you could remove the pulley, and the brace, and the bolts holding the pump to the accy. bracket and lift the accy. bracket out without pulling the hoses off the pump. I don't know, I've only ever removed all the accys. and the accy. bracket.

I can understand having trouble finding a socket, but it can be a lot of work to remove everything on that side, and you might easily end up creating more work if something like the power steering hoses give you trouble. Might be a good time to at least replace the return hose and the seals/teflon o-ring at the EVO while you're in there.

Now I recall the previous owner said there was a leak from the power steering so I might as well remove everything and check,
but are there any more than the three bults/nuts I've found holding the bracket?

If i recall correctly, there are four bolts that hold the accy. bracket to the head/engine.

See this thread/comment with procedures to remove the power steering pump:

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?57981-Removing-Power-Steering-Pump&p=377807#post377807

attachment.php

In that photo, there is a cavity in the accessory bracket just above the waterpump brace, below the part of the casting that is right below the alternator mounting section. There is one bolt inside that cavity that bolts the accy. bracket to the head.

In that photo, you can see the flange on the lower intercooler tube that sits against the bottom of the accy. bracket. On my '90, there is one flange on each of the upper and lower intercooler tubes. I recall some early models have a 3rd mount point, making it 2 on the lower intercooler tube and 1 on the top. If you remove 2 and either tube won't come free, look for a 3rd. The (2) fasteners on my car come in from the side. On my '90, the upper is a bolt and the lower is a nut on a stud...that's the one that is square on the end to it can be removed along with the nut if desired. That's the way i did it on my car.

These images show both pass. side and driver side accy. brackets:

attachment.php

attachment.php

This image shows the lower intercooler stud/nut:
attachment.php

This images shows the intercooler tube(s) out of the car so you can see both mounting points:
attachment.php

Note that replacing hoses and seals on the power steering pump require at least one Ford teflon o-ring. Search here for details on part number, etc. As for the pump, their are kits to do them, but I would just replace the pump so everything in there is new...this is not a job you want to do twice. Don't forget to re-seal the intercooler tubes when going back together, there are many threads here on how to get that done as well.

In your example now, I would focus on refreshing the pump, it's hoses, seals, o-rings etc. as the main task, which will result in parts, including the accy.' bracket, that will open that area up and I think make it much easier to get to the oil pressure sender as part of the overall process.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Back