Question about bleeding brakes

Scott Long

Its been a while since I've had to bleed a brake system.

I am going to be changing the back left caliper on my SC and I know I'll get air in the lines when I disconnect the brake line. I know its gonna have to be bled.

Do I have to bleed just that brake caliper? back two? all four?

Also when bleeding the brakes and I have all the air out of the line, do I tighten the bleeder screw while the pedal is pressed down or when its released. Thanks. Like I said its been a while, probably about 2 years since I've had to bleed brakes so I want to make sure I do it right.

It wouldn't hurt....

To buy a one man bleeder kit.

If you have the teves II ABS system, you need to make sure that you have the KOEO for the rear brakes.

Also, since you are replacing one caliper, it is sometimes possible for air to work it's way up the lines.

I would start with the caliper that is FURTHEST away from the master cylinder assy.

That would be the passenger side rear. Then go to the driver side front, followed by the driver's side rear and then finish with the passenger front.

It would also be a good time to buy 2 quarts of really good brake fluid (valvoline synpower DOT 4 or Castrol LMA) and just keep adding it to the master cylinder until it runs clean out of the bleeder screws.

If you're bleeding the old fashiond way, you want to close the bleeder screws on the downstroke of the brake pedal. Otherwise when the brake pedal returns (after you pull your foot off of it) it will suck air back in....

hope this helps.

Back