Chrylser??????????

Ryan A Harris

Hey guys, does anyone know anything about the Daytona's. 2.2l turbo's. It's an '88, shelby Z option??

http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?CAT=1

What do you guys think??

Year: 1988
Make: CHRYSLER
Model: DAYTONA
Model Detail: SHELBY
Price: $2,500
Mileage: 159,400 km
Date Posted: 11/28/02
Ad Type: Private

PRIVATE SALE, NO GST
Comment: Red ext., grey int., T-bar roof, cruise, air, tilt, pw, pm, pl, new auto. trans., good tires, 4 wheel disc brakes, 2.2L turbo, Infinity stereo, 159,400 km, $2500. or best offer (905)471-1065. (CCVLCD)

Last edited:
I'd avoid it. 2.2's had cylinder head trouble. Hmmm come to think of it....3.8 S/C's have head troubles too. 2.2's were worse.

Much easier to change a head gasket on a 2.2 Chrysler though !! :D

Just remember, build quality wasn't a top priority on those cars ... they were rattling p.o.s. cars when new, so just imagine one with 15 years under it's belt !! Fun to drive though.

cheers
Ed N.

2.2 Turbos'

These motors have alot of internet following, and lend them selves to inexpensive improvements with waste gate bleeds and simple stuff.
I have re-aquired an 89 Lebaron GTS (4Dr with hatchback) Intercooled 5Spd which is quite quick.
I have also seen the Turbo II (II means intercooled) with 235K kms on it and it was very quiet.
Our SC's are far superior, however the intercooled 2.2 has alot of easily released potential, offers VERY good fuel economy, and they are much easier to work on than an SC. Parts are plentiful and cheap.
As fars as power train is concered a Turbo II 5Spd is pretty good. 3Spd automatics (which would not have been availible with the INTERCOOLED motor are LOUSY - They are slow off the line, and rev to high on the highway, and start to GUZZLE gas above 3400rpm.
My 2 C's

Just be carefull Ryan

I think they actually have more head gasket problems than SC's.
I would think you'd have no problem tackling that though :)
Lots of room to work on!
Rather difficult to burp all the air out of the cooling system and that's how I blew the head gasket in mine.
Peter was right about the auto. Very sucky.

Everyone's experiences will be what they are, but I have owned a Shadow ES turbo and an Omni GLH turbo both with the 2.2. I never experienced any head problems with either. I can't speak for the previous owners of the car and their maintinance regimens and maybe I got real lucky (Twice) but if they were cared for your biggest problem should be needing to work out to build up your arms to compensate for the torque steer you will have to overcome.

Last edited:
Aren't those the 16 valve twin-cam motors?

If so, I've seen one of those heads out of the car, very cool stuff.

I went through two headgaskets with that beast. It's a Chrysler for Pete's sakes. Avoid it like the plague.

They have great paint, terrible electronics, and they leak - oil, coolant, steering fluid, windshield...

Bill McNeil said:
Aren't those the 16 valve twin-cam motors?

If so, I've seen one of those heads out of the car, very cool stuff.

Nah, both of mine were SOHC. I think the DOHC motors were 2.5 litres. But Caroll Shelby did play with some of them but I'm not shure what mods were done. The 500 GLH's he did in '86 went to 175 bhp from 150 (stock). Some of these cars pulled 12's and 13's (pretty scary stuff for a tin can on wheels)

Dual Cam

The Dual overhead cams were only the mitsibishi (Talon/Laser) cars. Or the US only very rare Masserati Lebaron coupe.
Sounds like the car you are talking about is a 2.5L Tubo I because it is an automatic. Generally I would say NEY to this because it is an automatic.
The 2.2L TURBO II (Intercooled) is quite tough, yet kind of buzzy. It has very little low end torque, it has quite a high peak torque - 200lbft, but only very short duration unless you toy with the wastegate, boost controller etc
They are easy to play with, and this car is easy to add an intercooler particularily because the intercooler is BEFORE the throttle body, so you don't have to deal with vacum.
Look around the net search minimopar, turbo GUS, etc etc you will get an idea of what can be done with this car.
Depends what you want from it.

Back