Tranny Rebuild Experts Rating

92strokedbird

I would like to know for my own information and maybe for the rest of the people who need to rebuild their automatic transmission.What are the most important changes to do to the transmission(AOD).Best for performance,best for reliability and best for long life.Anyone who has had to rebuild their trannycould also give info on things that you did not do that you should have?All info on this is appreciated and will be considered as i need to rebuild my transmission in the spring and i would like to put together the best tranny with all of the goodies,shift kit ,input shaftsand any info on choosing a torque converter.Thanks for all of your input in advance!

No body has done anything to their transmissions.I just want to put the right parts in on the first try so i dont have to take it out again.I just want to learn what and why so i dont have to pull it out again.Please reply and let me know what to put in to get the most out.

well depends how much you want to spend..Id highly reccomend a Lentech valvebody. Also a mechanical diode...you want to get a lil frisky a one peice hardened input shaft and a slightly higher stahl converter....A good clutch pack..Well WHat are you looking to spend?

two of my friends that own mustangs have blasted through their aod/aode transmissions. one of them replaced his aod with lentech strip dominator, and the other had his trans rebuilt. the lentech is still taking abuse and my other friend has since had his trans rebuilt two more times(within a year) the last time it went out he converted to a T-5 and has not had a problem since. conclusion= if you can afford it go with a lentech. otherwise swap out your aod for a T-5. in my opinion ford transmissions are not worth rebuilding. might as well be replaced with a trans that's been built the right way. lentech is a great company and i highly reccommend them.
Lentech

I have considered buying a Lentech and have also been warned about the Art Carr stuff.I just want to put it in and be able to drive the car like it was meant to be driven.I dont like to be passed at any time, so you could say that i drive her hard, but i dont abuse the car! I just dont want to have to pull the tranny out and rebuild it again!Does anybody have a Lentech in their car!

my friend that has the mustang with the lentech is pushing about 600hp. the trans holds fine and drives like a normal automatic car. if you want a trans that you aren't going to have to worry about i would suggest one from lentech

GER AOD

I went with the GER AOD this summer that could go into a 5.0L Mustang if you wanted it to. At $1200 and 2000 miles later, it works well. I have mild upgrades to the car and it sounds like we drive about the same. The stall is just right for driving around but 4th gear bangs hard when not under load but the other gears bang hard when under load. I can hold 1st, 2nd and 3rd all the way to 6000rpm then lift for 4th to kick in.

Back