stupid ford locking lugs !!!

v8killr

ok so yesterday i'm going to rotate my tires,and bam what do ya know the flipp'n front locking lug has a crack on the inside diameter of the lug,so needless to say i can't get the key to bite.
is there anyone out there that has had this problem?or anyone got a way to get these off without having to take it somewhere.
p.s the key is fine it's the lug that is the problem.
thanks for any info.
david

pound on one size smaller socket, and try to bust it off. Otherwise weld on a little nut onto the end of the lug, and get it off when it cools.

SLOW DOWN Bunkie!

The same thing happened to me. Those keyed lugs are made by McGard. If you still have the registration card for the Lock Lugs, you can get a FREE collared key that will take the broke lug nut off.

I simply wrote McGard a letter & explained my problem. I even send in a photo copy of my McGard registration card (I'm an original owner). About 2 wks later I got a package from them, with the collared key. The collar fits around the lug so that it can't expand where it's broken. It worked like a charm.

Thanks McGard!

68COUGAR

When my locking lugs got rounded off, I just brought the car to a local shop and had them use an impact wrench with the key to get them all off. Then I put standard lugs back on.

Try doing that if you don't want to put security lugs back on.

-Chris

Believe it was wife's Mustang had a Firstone man who could not get it off then Discount Tires pounded on a smaller socket several times and used impact. Almost did not get it off. So I took a normal lug off her car and my T-Bird. Went to a Ford dealer and bought 4 each. Life is too short for car alarms, faceless radios and stupid lug nuts! What is insurance for?

Last edited:
Back