PDA

View Full Version : polished plenums and i/c tubes

Thrty5thSC
12-02-2002, 04:34 AM
has anyone polished there plenums and i/c tubes? i just got a dremel and i love this thing. i got a polishing kit and i have polished my trottle body and cleaned up my head light lenses, they are clear again.i have all my i/c tubes off and i'm gonna sand blast them and try to polish them.the paint is chipping, if i can't polish them i will just paint them.they look like they might be pretty rough under the factory paint, don't know if i whant to sand all that.
joe

Aaron Pedroza
12-02-2002, 12:33 PM
I polished all my tubes and it was a lot of work. A dremel tool would be a mess though. The bits that you put on them are to small for that much space and you would end up with waves throughout the tubes that would obstruct the flow or cause turbulence. If you want to do it yourself you would need a flexible extension on a drill or die grinder to get all the way up in it. I would use a big drum sander to get up inside to bore it out and some flappers to polish it up after. Don't get anything past 80 grit either, the intake should have some roughness to it for maximum flow. But if you want some real good advice, send it all to Extrude Hone, while you're at it send your exhaust manifolds too and have them Jet- Hot coated. Kind of a lot to spend for what you'll get but with both intake and exhaust done you should get 15-20 hp.

TBSCoupe
12-02-2002, 12:44 PM
I think he is referring to the outside of the IC tubes.

Thrty5thSC
12-02-2002, 01:40 PM
yes, i was talking about the outside,but thanks for the info. how much do they charge for that any way?
thanks,
joe

Aaron Pedroza
12-02-2002, 01:51 PM
Probably about $600 for everything with the Jet-Hot. IC tubes would go to Extrude Hone, and exhaust would go to Jet Hot, they clean up the inside before they coat it.

Slysc
12-02-2002, 07:05 PM
I haven't had very good luck sandblasting the origional coatings off. But I got some paint stripper from the auto parts store and that seemed to get the stuff off pretty well.

Thrty5thSC
12-03-2002, 12:16 AM
wow, 6 bones? too steep for me. i think i'll stick with what i got.
no luck sand blasting? sand didn't touch it at all? i have some strip-eez in my garage and i went to try it and it is frozen solid!
it's like 20 degrees here, and we got like 29 inches of snow between last night and today! i'll try the sand becuase it's free, my brother in law has a blaster. if it doesn't work i'll buy somemore stripper.
thanks for the info,
joe

jet hot keeps the heat inside the manifold right? i wonder if i should have that done?

Nettlesd
12-03-2002, 11:46 AM
That factory powder coat is some tough stuff. I've had different parts sandblasted, chemically stripped and plastic glass blasted. When doing sand blasting you must use a lot of pressure with the sand. I went with the plastic glass blasting on the last go around. The company that did the chemical stripping went out of business so I had to look for a different company. The chemical method is nice and fast.

Here's a picture of mine. I think you can see everything I had polished.

http://www.umkc.edu/depts/addr/wfc_engine.jpg

Thrty5thSC
12-03-2002, 12:02 PM
very nice, thats how i want mine to look.how does that nitrous work for you? good idea with that fuel cell.
joe

Nettlesd
12-03-2002, 05:03 PM
Not very well. My car runs very fat. I think I could get back 1,000 hp with a good tune. :p

Fuel cell? I don't have a fuel cell.

tbird88
12-03-2002, 07:42 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist...

'bird

powder coated
http://www.datarecall.net/~tbird88/index/parts/alum/blwrfin0326.jpg

Thrty5thSC
12-04-2002, 05:04 AM
whats that box that says vortech?not a fuel cell?
that powder coat is hot! what does that cost?

TBSCoupe
12-04-2002, 09:18 AM
Do you happen to keep a few drinking in with the ice? What type of system is that and how does it work?
TBSCoupe