need help on poor idling only when warm

ottochaus

my car will only idle poorly ruff and now sometimes die when i turn it over, when my car is warm- 1/2 hr at least.

is this a fuel problem, sensor, or is it my plugs and wires? i haven't changed them and there is 140k. i bought at 100k.

will a code come up if i send it to the dealer for $80?
and where can you buy a code scanner and how much?

any info would be appreciated

You can get a basic (inexpensive) code reader for our cars at WalMart (or most any discount store with an automotive department) or at parts stores. Mine cost about $30.00 or so. The poor idle condition could be several things, check the MAF sensor to see if there is trash on the sensor filament, could be bad plugs and/or wires, bad engine mounts, and on-and-on....
Shop around for the code reader before you pay the dealership for a one-time check. Then, go for the easy and cheap fixes first.

Mine is doing the same right now. I posted a message last week asking about it. Subject is Intermitten Idle Trouble, I think. Mine ended up being an o2 sensor. I pulled the code last friday and my drivers side o2 sensor was sending a lean message to the computer causing my engine to "flood" at low rpms. Check out my post and see if my symptom are similar to yours. First time I've tried the link thing, but here it is: Intermitten Idle Trouble
If it doesn't work, right now it's on page 4 I think. That'll give you a starting point. And by the way, find out if there is anyone around you who has a good code reader. I found a co-worker that had one and I got my codes pulled for free. I decided to ask around before I went to spend $30 on a cheap one. They may work, but I honestly don't know. I hope this was helpful.

Back