Cooling Fans

IH8CHVY

I know this is long, but can some body help me? I know that this question has been brought up numerous times, but, I haven't been able to find a resolution to it. I have 'searched' the board for this very problem and the only thing that I could find is people doing other things instead of fixing the root of the problem. I want the cooling fans to kick on like they are supposed to.

I have a '95 SC and the cooling fans will not kick on. This problem has been bugging me for ahile, even to the point of parking my car. My car runs about midway on the temp guage (which I believe from an earleir post that =220 degrees F). I know my fans work because when you turn on the A/C, the fan will kick on (engine side). I also straight wired to make sure it would run. So I know the problem is not there.

I also changed the coolant temp sensor hoping that maybe it was not telling the fans to kick on. That didn't work.

I went back to the auto parts store and bought a relay for it. Neither I nor the parts guy knows where it goes!!!!!

I want to fix the problem right. I don't want cause another problem after fixing this problem like for instance from an earlier post. Someone told him to just cut the #14 wire between the pas. headlight and the fan would run all the time. I am not into Hot Rodding and the SC is bone stock.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
James

Your puller fan (engine side) should kick on at 220 degrees which is right about on the right side of M on the temp gauge. The pusher fan should only come on if the puller fan doesn't cool the coolant down because it's really a backup fan just for that reason. The pusher fan comes on at about 228 degrees so if yours is not coming on thats a good thing. There is probably nothing wrong with your fans but to find out let your car idle until the gauge needle gets on the right side of M in norm and the puller fan should kick in. One way to verify your pusher fan is working is to pull the electrical connecter on the puller fan so when the coolant reaches 228 degrees the pusher kicks in but I wouldn't recommend doing that as 228 degrees is TO hot. A better way is to have someone run a EEC KOEO (key on engine off) test on your car. The test will check the operation of both fans by briefly turning both of them on for about five seconds.

Last edited:
Isn't 220 Degrees a little to hot?

My car did not used to read in the middle of the temp guage. It always read at a 1/4 of the way. Why is it running warmer all of the sudden. I assumed (and we know what assume means) the fans were the culprit?

220 degrees is the factory setting for the puller fan to come on in 94/5 SC's as well as the factory setting for the low or high speed fan to come on (not sure which one) in 89-93 SC's with the single two speed fan. The temp gauge sensors on these cars go bad often and cause the gauge to read inaccurate on the low/cooler side. Just putting in a new sensor my cause the needle to read hotter which is probably a true reading. Trust me, I went through this temp gauge stuff long ago. Like I said, theres probably nothing wrong with your fans. In fact, i'd bet on it.

Most of us think 220 degrees is to hot also. Thats why a lot of people on this board have found a way to turn the fan(s) on at a cooler temp. I have a chip in my 94 that turns the puller fan on at 194 degrees and the pusher fan on at 204 degrees. I have an EEC tuner that does the same thing in my 95. Both have 180 degree thermostats. The stock t-stat is 197 degrees.

I replaced my fan last summer and when I hooked it up it would not kick in. I had to replace the relay or switch..i can't remember what it is called but it is basically a wire that breaks if there is to much heat or current. It is located under the engine relay box on the drivers side. It's an easy fix.

Back