Clutch Pedal

91 XR7

Clutch Pedal and a vibration

How much freeplay is it surpose to have??? Just wondering.. since mine seems to be @ 1 to 1.5" , but i near 100% shure there is no air in the system also it is a new clutch so..

and it seems to release about 2/3 of the way down.. but it still is hard to get into 1st and 2nd at times (even with clutch pedal to the floor), no grinding, just won't go.. also when it does go in.. there's a `clunk' as if the driveshaft or something just turned abit.. (like going from reverse to drive in a auto)

Last edited:
pedal

check the end of the rod that hooks to the pedal, there's a bushing that goes bad, and then it eggs out the eye on the rod,
causing it not to push the master cylinder far enough and making it difficult to shift, I've had this problem with t-birds and ford pickups before, not saying that it's your problem for sure but it's a good place to start.
Good luck
Ron

pedal

was your clutch new or a remanufactured? I had a explorer (same slave cylinder) I tried to save a few bucks with a reman clutch set , they messed up the cover somehow and I had the same problem with it (hard to shift into first) it lasted about 4 months, they warranted it, when I put the replacement in the problem went away,
Ron

centerforce crap usually releases till the pedal is 2/3 way down when power shifting, that crud is only good for towing. Maybe 1/2 pedal travel usually(up to 2/3rds seems normal), I know with my worn stock clutch I could JUST barely shift 1/3 way down(still a little sticky). I guess is depends on the clutch springs, a cylinder with air in it will feel more like a Honda clutch, its usually really soft, but near the end it stiffens up, as long as the pedal has a smooth movement

But CF clutches are a purty orange :) But it's also made by Luk so.. (pay more for the same crap) Also it's only the CF II clutch cover...

Well I guess my clutch may not have air.. since it's just `soft' for the first 1" or so, then it's nice a firm all the way down, feels like a normal clutch, Then again i'm only use to Porsche and VW clutches (Street to race) ) and it is smooth..

But does release half to two-thids of the way down.. no where near the floor, thats for shure..

Now that vibration at 70+ MPH..

I have another shaft for a 5-speed, how much you got:D , also have an aluminum 5-speed shaft . Never had a tranny vibrate the floor pan if thats where the vibration is, but older trans have a gear "chuckle" or "rattle" if they need to be shimmed up(loose counter shaft or input/output shaft)., that still shouldnt vibrate. Have it spun up at Greens for 50$, that price includes balancing for steel shafts, then you know for sure its not the D/S.

The C/Fs also dont have a linear feel if you like power-sliding(feathering clutch etc), those stupid weights mess it all up:mad:

A SC clutch with air in in feels like over-assisted power brakes with air in them, except the clutch hits the floor(like a clutch should anyways) instead of stopping midway like brakes do :D

Well i'll be getting another 5spd shaft from the wreckers and on the way to the car.. I'll be stopping at greens (Heh Thought of the same place already :) ) and havign them balance it and replace the U-joints.. and bythe time i have the other shaft out.. it SHOULD be done.. and as i head that way.. i can drop off the shaft that's in the car back at the wreckers..

but the vibrations seems the be through out the car (pedals, Steering wheel) I've heard the the Tail shaft bushings/bearigns could cuase basiclly the same thing.. <shrug>

but yah, this 5spd has a `rattle' kinda noise only at low RPMs thou (600-1200RPM, noticeable mostly in 3rd and 4th) So Mostly likely Input shaft.. heh i personal love to have a later (94/5) 5spd..

but yah got a Aluminium 5spd length shaft?? Yoke, ect or no??
was debating getting a '93 M8 shaft (or other single piece Alumiun driveshaft ) and having it shortened

Well by what yah saying.. i'm guess the clutch (hydrualic part) is okay.. So the heardness to get into 1st and 2nd?? doesn't grind at all.. but you move the shifter between 1at and 2nd a few times (Obvisouly not going in) you hear a `clunk' and it goes in no prob there after.. (Least when stopped, while moving ?? )

that clunk is normal, just the gears engaging, I bet if you go from another gear to first its gone?. I would also change the shifter bushings anyways, they turn into mush after several years.
A bad tailshaft usually chews the drive-shaft yoke also, so if that was fine you can still push the D/S up and down to feel for movement( I doubt it was bad, if you saw the original D/S it would of been chewed, unless you used another?). If its not an engine vibration maybe its something else?:confused: :D .The input shaft would also be really sloppy if you moved it up and down(about 1/2" of play or more total)
That trans was out of Marks car, it had low kms, so the trans cant be that bad, i think he had a new clutch in it, thats it.

Hmm i've tried the going into liek 3rd, 4th and even 5th before trying to go into 1st or 2nd.. Didn't REALLY make that big of a difference...

Yah it's a different D/S, i couldn't get the D/S out of Marks car <Weirdly enough> But i just took out the D/S that was in it.. and it seems to be still good.. Doesn't look like any new marks on it or anything.. Also i tried it once more before i removed it.. and the `movement' didnt' seem to be all that bad..

Nope, the Inputshaft of the tranny was pretty damn solid.. hardly moved..

All and all.. I'm having Greens balance another shaft and install new U's in it.. So we'll see.. Also yah, marks car only had like 82-87,000kms on it.. and the clutch was toast.. Maybe it's just the clutch still breaking in.. I've now been hearing the CFII clutches take awhile to break in so..

Also green says they'll make a d/s for like $420+tax.. including U-joints, balancing, ect..

How much have you got invested in the 5 speed swap already?
I'll have to drop in on you and see for myself whats going on.
Jerome

im guessing the vibration is the shaft then probably, I guess he was driving around on that fried clutch for months then still:rolleyes: :D . That clunk is usually the gears still spinning, maybe your clutch isnt fully disengaging, especially if it has an obvious noise/feel with it, a minor clunk is normal(just shouldnt be a grind or a huge WHAM):) ).

My CF was broken in within a few weeks, I've never really had to break in a clutch, I just take it easy so I dont glaze it, I usually use a scotch-brite disk on the flywheel and pressure-plate to help seat it, the most I've had a clutch slip when installed is maybe for the first 5-10 pedal movements, after that they all felt fine.

Last edited:
Jerome;
My ca isn't gonna be driven to work anymore.. it's a weekend only car from here on in (least till the spring/summer) Since i now have a beater car.. (which warms up nicer, has a nicer ride, and gets SO MUCH better gas milage.. I'm able to PASS gas stations :) )

:::

Well the shaft is ready for me.. so just need to pick it up and reinstall and see if it helps (crosses fingers)

well i'm been pretty `light' on the clutch... and i was gonna to that scotch-brite thing.. but didn't have any at the time.. Usually do that with brake rotors and the clutch pieces at work thou..

that's whati'm thinking the clutch MAY not be totally disengaging.. oh'well Maybe i should just get someone to look at it one day...

So that's why I thought you were not there today, because I came down and didn't see it so I drove off. Oh well, next time
Jerome

Yah.. that would be why :) Maybe in a couple of weeks i'll have the cougie at home for good.. So yah just have to give me a shout and i can bring it down to work.. and you can check it out.. but i'm usually at work M-F.. (except this friday) So all and all just drop in..

Update;

installed the blanced driveshaft... (do they still need to be indexed?
The vibration is basiclly gone now.. there still seems to be a light vibration.. but i was only able to get up to like 80MPH before slamming on the brakes..

Also there doesn't seem to get the same amount of `play' at the Yoke anymore.. <shrug> HECK it almost feels SOLID!

Last edited:
yea, my next guess was get the engine balanced, old flexplate with new flywheel balanced with clutch/pressure plate:D

Back