PDA

View Full Version : shifting problems with manual trans

storey
12-03-2002, 12:54 AM
after my 97 tbird lx was distroid in a recint car wreack i looked into getting a sc. i found a 93sc(5spd) with 108k miles and am looking to buy it tomorrow. i test drove it today and it seems to be in relitively good condition(at least for 108k miles). i pretty sure the supercharger needs to be rebuilt but what concerns me is the shifting. when i shifted the car between the gears it feels like the shifter hits a something before it goes into gear but it does not grind gears. the dealer said it is something with the clutch but i was thinking more like gear syncronizers(i hope not).

any info on what the problem could be would be greatly apriciated.thanks

storey

DEN90XR7
12-04-2002, 01:48 AM
hey did you try it while car was off? i would if it shifts the same then probably is syncros

storey
12-07-2002, 04:48 PM
i tried shifting the trans with the car off and it seem to shift fine. i read about rebuilding the shifter in the tech articals at tccoa but it does not say if is for the T45 trans or the trans in supercoupes.

i was wondering if the shifter rebuil would still work even if it is for the t 45 trans. any info would be good. thanks

storey

DEN90XR7
12-08-2002, 10:55 PM
i would tend to beleive if it was a shifter problem it would be very very sloppy, like you could mov it around in a circle and not feel no gears at all

storey
12-09-2002, 09:27 PM
well it is a little sloppy but i have no other supercoupe to check and see if this is normal. the shifter will move up and down about 1 inch and about the same in each direction while in any gear. is this normal?

also car on or off once i go into first and back to nuteral the shifter will move back into first with no problem. it is like that in all gears.

storey

storey
12-10-2002, 10:06 PM
aha, i figured it out. i found that the the shifter control housing has 2 pins in it that keep the shifter properly alined. one of the pins had worked its way out and let the shifter spin about an inch clockwise and counterclockwise. i pushed the pin in and and it seems like it will work pretty well. i will have a friend of mine put a weld on the pins so they wont come out again. all i have to do now is buy the part that bolts onto the shifter control housing(probobly have to get that from ford) and two new little springy washer looking things that go on the top and bottom of the shifter ball. it should cost all of 20 to 30 dollars to fix.

later

storey

GARoese
12-12-2002, 08:28 PM
Just bought all the part listed in the shifter rebuild article plus the gasket plate below the boot on the shift. Went to Ford and the price came to 54.24 plus tax. My shifter had been butcher by the previous owner, all of the parts that go above the shifter ball had been removed.

plev72
12-28-2002, 07:16 AM
B&M Ripper shifter $179 bucks www.summitracing.com ? :-)

vancouverBC
12-28-2002, 04:40 PM
You might want to look at the shifter rebuild that I made b/c you only need 1 of those springy things but you need 2 of the plastic sockets that go on top and bottom of the ball. I found out the hard way, but my 3rd rebuild did the trick. good luck

http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/gipsonj_sc/M5R2%20Rebuild.htm

storey
12-28-2002, 05:29 PM
i went ahead and got a b&m shifer. it is a pretty sweet shifter and i like it a lot. i am not sure if it is worth the 170 buck though.

storey

plev72
12-28-2002, 05:35 PM
I'm asking the same question...

JAFO
12-28-2002, 10:09 PM
Is there a picture of one of these B&M's installed? Sure would like to see it.

plev72
12-29-2002, 12:40 AM
Well, the bad news is I REALLY don't want to take aprt the glove box and panel to get at it again. The good news is, I found it time consuming but pretty straight forward to do. Once it is in and reassembled it looks just like stock - I'm using the stock shift knob.
Paul

ilusnforc
01-11-2003, 06:39 PM
I just posted about a problem i once had with shifting, please read this and click on the links i added in that post.
http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15976