pins of the ford obdII connector

fat_stan

hey guys,

here's my first technical question i have for this board

i was wondering if anybody knows what pins the ford obdII connector uses (pwm protocol) and what each pin is for.

all i really need to know is the which pins on the obdII connector in the car are ground, +12 volts, and the data.

i have the pin allocations for gm, but not for ford.

thanks,

stan

thanks

thank you so much.

i've looked at hundreds of obdII sites and this is all i needed to complete my aldl (obdII) connector to rs232 (serial) connector.

thanks again,

stan

OBII connectors are all the same --- thanks to uncle sam and the epa. They did this to put everyone on a level diagnostic playing feild. Your gm one can give you the info that you need.

good luck

yes

the connectors are the same, but the pins used by the various companies are different. gm and ford use 2 different protocols.

If they did.... how would one scanner be able to communicate with both PCM. I thought OBDII had 2 data wire 913 / 914 for all obdII data flow? I will look tonight and see what I can't find on the subject. They would almost have to be in same position otherwise you wouldn't be able to use the generic obdII selection on a scanner and pull data and codes.
Right?
:confused:

scanners

if you go to a garage and you want your car scanned they're actually going to use a ford key that is the interface between the obd2 connector and the scanner. if your going to buy a scanner of your own (one that is for the do it yourself guy) then you'll have to buy a manufacturer specific scanner.

i've tried to use my professor's homemade interface/connector, but it won't work on my car because he has a gm specific. however, it does work on his car.

i actually found a link that better shows it today in school.
http://www.obd2.com/obdii_dlc_interfaces.htm

Last edited:
Not really, I have a snap on scroll scanner mt2500... and it uses the K2 key (I think) for any generic OBDII function, gm ford honda, doesn't matter. It sounds like (To me) you have an OBI scanner. These are manufacturer specific. Some people have made adapter to go from obI to obII but I'm thinking that it is a software issuse not a hardware issuse.

:)

obdII

i thought of the possibility that i might be using an obdI interface, but my prof has a 1997 chevy astro, so it has obdII. as to the key you use i have no idea.

this is what i do know about the protocols used by gm and ford (copied and pasted of a website):

SAE J1850 VPW - GM Class 2

This network is being used by General Motors, the Chrysler division of DaimlerChrysler, Harley Davidson, Toyota, and others. It implements signaling over one wire and is defined by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) specification J1850. General Motors uses this version of J1850 and calls it's higher level protocol or messaging strategy "Class 2." This is also one of the three protocols required by OBD-II.

SAE J1850 PWM - Ford SCP

This network is used exclusively by Ford. It is also defined in the specification SAE J1850. This network uses two wires to implement its signaling. Ford labels its higher level protocol or message strategy "SCP". This is also one of the three protocols required by OBD-II.

here's a link if your interested.

http://www.intrepidcs.com/neovi/net_over.htm

keep it coming guys, best way to solve a problem is to talk about it. i greatly appreciate all your input

stan

The Diagnostic Methods Section provides information on routine diagnostic tasks.

When performing powertrain diagnostics on OBD II vehicles, the system may be checked by an off-board tester referred to as a scan tool. This section contains information for performing diagnostics with the New Generation Star Tester and a generic scan tool. A generic scan tool has a capability that is standard across the automotive industry in the United States. However, to perform manufacturer-specific functions, a string of characters may be required to be entered manually. If a New Generation Star Tester is used, those functions are selected from a menu. Refer to the appropriate heading in this section for the scan tool that is used.

this is copied out of a 1997 ford car PCED manual

Good luck

i see

what i gathered from what you posted is that, there is the generic information that could be pulled (therefore a set of standard pins eg. ground, +12, and generic data pin) and a manufacturer specific testing/info pin (meaning an additional set of pin(s) eg. another data pin) which i shouldn't even try solving, because i don't have the means/technology the manufacturer has.

am i correct in that? please provide more info if you have any

thanks again,

stan

http://www.abcwc.net/accounts/quanta/obdinfo/pids1-2.html

This is a site that has some information that might help you. You may also want to look on ebay for a used scroll scanner. BUY THE OTC IF YOU'VE GOT THE CASH, snap on will run you about 600.00 or so. Works good just the interface sucks.

I always liked multiplexing, you could see the guys that would just sit in a ford tech class all day long listening and doing hands on stuff, and at the end of the day, all they knew (or cared) about it was, plug scanner in, pull codes out, fix bad part(S) car runs, (or swap in known good parts) still no run.... order wiring harness..... still no luck..... explain to customer 0% apr finaching for 60 Months.

Multiplexing is really pretty neat think of how simple the wiring would be on a super coupe if every module could communicate from on DLC.... sure would have save alot of copper.

Anyways... Yours is a software issue.... It is not that the hardware is not there.... it's that the scanner does not know how to properly interpet the data that the PCM or VCM (GM) is trying the send to it.
My scanner OBDII connector would fit on the end of a serial cable (haven't tried it yet) but the ends look the same... logic would reason.... that I could hook that up to my PC and to the car... I should be able to read data one would think... Maybee I'll start looking for the software tooo... let me know what you find.... now I'm intrested (I really don't like that scanner) I'll check the OBDII connector tomorrow.

C'ya:D

software and hardware

here's a link the the software i'm using:

http://www.abcwc.net/accounts/quanta/

there's also a picture of a unit you could buy from them for the obd2 to serial connection on that site. the unit i constructed is similar to the one that they have, with a obd2 connection (16 pin) on one end and a serial connection (9 pin) on the other. i'll post the schematic of the interface when i have time.

stan

Last edited:
i dumb

i feels stupid. my brother told me to check the most basic thing. i had a wire in the wrong pin out.
nevermind, problem solved.

Back