Annoying AOD

hytorksc

My SC has 111k miles on it and I'm experiencing a high pitched squealing problem that occurs when accelerating slowly up to 30 mph, coming from the AOD. Does anyone know what this is and if anything can be done about it? I noticed this happening with another ford van while at the gas station- the same squealing noise.

thanks-

I believe Ford had a problem with the converters on the AOD's chattering. It is annoying but the only fox is to change the converter. I think Ford even had a TSB out on those during your year. They replaced many of a converter because of that problem. If it makes you feel better I have heard of people driving with it like that for a long time with no trouble ecept for that annoying noise.

The tsb was for mustangs, you would take the car at normal temp, drive it down the road and about 45 - 55 (I think bad memory) when it shifted in to O/D the TCClutch would chatter, the first fix was a tranny service and drain the converter. If that didn't work put a converter in it and you were good to go.
:eek:

thanks for the response

Thanks to all-

It seems that the AOD is shifting ok, but I think I do have a small front transmission seal leak- it's not critical though. At this point i will run as is and wait until i get the funds to upgrade the AOD later.

tranny fix

I cooked my tranny fluid , one day in summer flying down the 401
...in drive and not in od :eek: ...boild out the overflow vent in tranny and all over the exhaust ,that was really hot ..then I couldn't see anything behind me for the smoke ...the fluid was black and smelled real bad ..Thought I had burnd the clutches out of it..made lots of noises and slipped quite abit... drained the converter and changed the filter and added a bottle of Lucus tranny fix and it's like new.. shifts better than it ever has ..and it is quite

I did the same thing- poured some lucas fix into it and it shifts really good. where's the overflow vent in the AOD? I have been getting leak outs when the thing is hot (i can smell it too).

Back