Diff Fluid leak?

W9JCM

Hi I recently got my 90 SC with 58,000 miles. I noticed it leaking at the rear end. So I figured it was the rear end seal. But it isnt. I think this is whats leaking a rubber tube above and a bit toward the front of the diff. It looks like that is where its coming from? My hayes doesnt say anything. Can you guys help? What is this and should I just jack her up and take it off and replace it or am i going to get drenched by fluid. It smells like rear fluid.

Thanks
John

That's strange because that little tube is an air vent and I've only seen oil come out if you turn it upside down. Did you just have the diff filled or over filled lately? When you fill it, the oil should only go up yo the threads of the fill hole which is on the back cover plate. Good luck

I believe what you are talking about is a breather tube. If it is leaking up front, it most likely the front pinion seal. If it is the front pinion and you don't have a way of reading the preload to turn the pinion, I would let a shop do it.

MM interesting I am not sure maybe the guy had the diff changed. I havent put my finger in the fill to chck the level. Is there anything else that it could be? The one end of the tube goes to a fitting thats on top of the gas tank. There is another one thats metal that goes to the same fitting.

John

The short rubber hose comes out of the diff (drivers side) via a plastic fitting that is easily broken when shipping or handling. The other end (on mine anyway) went up into a hole in the frame and then curled down so no trash could fall in. Good luck

Ok thanks tomrrow I am going to jack it up and really get in there. I will try to take a digital pic of it. What you described doesnt sound like what I am looking at. I will know more tomrrow and post it.

thks
john

John, the problem is you left your SSTV on too long, and the RF heated the oil and expanded it. Using less power, or a dummy load will help :) You only need about 20 watts on 20m.
73, good DX

Ok guys here is the pic of that hose I was talking about.. It really doesnt look like the front bearing is leaking.. Any ideas?

John

Ok guys here is the pic of that hose I was talking about.. It really doesnt look like the front bearing is leaking.. Any ideas?

John

Attachments

• dscf0003.jpg
    dscf0003.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 136
Here is another shot guys.

John

Now where the shaft enters the housing there is no sign of drips thats why i am thinking its something else. The other 2 cv joints or axle shafts back there are Dry as a bone.

Attachments

• dscf0004.jpg
    dscf0004.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 131
I'm not sure what that tube is, but the vent/breather that I'm talking about shouldn't be that long and should be coming out of the diff on at the top rear near the back plate on the pass side. The tube I'm talking about is about 8" long and go right up into a hole in the frame. good luck

Ok after more investigation on this deal.. The tube is a Gas line vent type thing So thats def out. And after laying under there and thinking about things the only thing that it can be is the pinon seal. The way the seal area is clean is a fooler. When the drive shaft is spinning the the gear oil is thrown around at high speeds the seal leaks and throws it on either side of the DIFF. That is what i surmised thinking logicly about what happens when the car is moving. Anyhow I looked at the procedure with making sure you have the correct inch pounds. I called a local shop and the told me MAX 120 bucks. I would do the job but why go buy a inch pound wrench that i prob will never use again. So let the monkeys down the road do it. Your expert comments are welcome.

Do is sense another ham radio guy on board here??? Just got a new rig Icom 756 Pro.

John

Hello John... Yep, Car nut and Ham Radio DX nut. I knew you would be scratching your head some. :) My call is WD4NGB. Good luck on the car. I am sure you will enjoy that new radio for the shack.

Back