Tokico Suspension?

Red Thunder SC

Tokico Suspension? (Read this one)

I have 175,000 KMS on my 92 SC (AOD if it maters) and I figured that this summer I should probably look at doing shocks and springs (well, I guess that would mean all four struts). I have heard of Tokico having the adjustable shocks (front and back #'s respectively : EU3689 & EE3690) for our t-Birds and also having springs (part # : ILK222) that will lower the car 1.25" is that right? Also, has anyone used this combo and if you could tell me about what you think of it, as well as how much it cost you. I don't know a lot in the suspension department.

thanx guys,
Stephan

Last edited:
we all at one time have had tokico shocks as they are the makers of the OEM ones. Now about the illumina II which are suppost to be 30% stiffer the OEM, I have heard from previous posters they they are about like the stock or maybe a little bit worse. If you want to keep the ARC the OEM or the illimina II are the one game out there. Check out Shox as they have some of the best prices out there.

great. aauugh! and here I thought that someone had actually made a performance ARC system tat could also result in a lowering job! If someone else out there has any ideas, please let me know.

Also, how much was it for that Tokico equipment that you bought. Was it cheap? I am surprized that it would be worse than OEM?

Ok let me get into this with ya..WHen my 94 had stock springs with the tokicos in firm ride it was fine...In regular mode the car rode like a boat..Now with the S/T lowering springs and the tokicos it almost feels the same in both firm and regular mode. They just arnt as stiff as I'd like em..It all depends on what your looking for...as a replacement there fine...I wouldnt consider them a performance upgrade

I'm not looking for a $3000 gain, but what I would like is the lowered ride with a stiffer set up than I have now, so when I found the Tokico system that apparently gives a gauranteed improvement by doing the struts and springs (which also drops the car 1.25") on Sp motorsports, I thought that it might be a good combo to put together, but I wanted to ask if there are better things out there that I shuld be considering. I have never done any suspension upgrades before, so I know very little about what is out there and what is good, ect.
I appreciate your help.

Have them...

With the stock springs.. like people say they do seem `floaty' when cruising the freeway, ect.. iin either `soft' or `firm' .. But PERSONALLY i thought they stiffened up pretty damn good once you started working the..

With the H&R's i have in now (same Tokicos) it does seem more `floaty' but one the spings i still don't believe have settled (Like they have a chances, every week it's up on blocks) But Once yah start corner carving with them.. they still seems good..

Also Tokico makes the OEM shocks for our cars and Eibach makes Tokico springs..

Also Tokico has a `proformance' kit for these cars, that come with both springs and shocks in one box.. Tokico p/N ILK222 Surgested retail price is like $1200 but you can get them MUCH MUCH MUCH cheaper.. the shocks i got for $500 and the H&R springs for $360 the tokico springs are much cheaper, around $220ish..

hey, thanks for the input Kevin. It doesn't surprise me that I could get them for much cheaper than 1200. Where would I go to get them cheaper if I did go with them.

Sory can't say.. But i woudl think anyone that deals with Tokico may be able to get the Kit (or the shock and/or springs) in..

I got mine Via Work ...

For what it's worth I have had the Illumina II's in my car for about 3 years now and they were NOT what I expected in terms of stiffness. Not happy with them.....should have gone with the Koni's.

Well personally i was expecting them to be `stiffer' then stock.. But being that i got them CHEAPER then OEM's I decided to do with them..

Also maybe i'm a lucky one.. cuase seriously when i get the suspension working in my car.. it firms up pretty damn good.. But still the whole highway/freeway `floaty' feeling is there.. Buti've driven my car on trips 500+ miles at a go and neve thought it was all that floaty.. Guess if yah get your hopes up too high...

Also If you want a STIFF ride don't go about it using shocks.. that's NOT what they are meant for..

Well, there is a lot of information and opinions in this thread. First to hopefully clarify a point. I don't know who makes the Tokico springs (may very well be EIbach), but the aftermarket EIbach and Tokico springs for our cars are by no means the same. The Eibach's are variable rate and the Tokico's are linear rate springs. The EIbach's also lower the car about 1.5" vs 1.25" for the Tokico's. I have heard a lot of people that thought the Tokico shocks were too soft. I have them with the stock springs on my '89 XR7 and have been very pleased with them. I have spoken with several people that used the Tokico springs AND shocks together in the package that they sell and were very pleased with the ride and the drop. I believe a lot of the negative press regarding the Tokico shocks has come about because many people installed them with the popular Eibach variable rate springs which feel pretty soft until you compress them a bit. That said, right harshness or lack thereof is a very subjective topic. One man's soft ride might be enough to jar the fillings loose to somebody else. In the end, if you want to retain the ARC then the Illumina II's are the only choice. If that is not a concern, then there are other quality shocks that you can choose from as well.

THANK YOU to everyone for all of your help. Until now, I haven't heard from anyone who has compared the Tokico shocks with Tokico springs vs. Eibach springs, nor did I know that there was a difference in their design.

If anyone else has anymore input to this, please feel free to give it as I remain open minded and have not made my mind up about anything yet, except that if i do go with Tokico, I won't mix the kit, I will do springs and shocks from them.

Last edited:
I have 'em

I have Tokico 1.25" drop springs and oem Tokico replacements (NOT Illumina II's). I can only tell you that mine dosen't "float" even in soft ARC mode. I drove a friends SC with stock suspension to Carlisle last year, and his car did "float" as is the typically the case with the oem suspension in "soft" mode. My "soft " feel is pretty close to an oem SC suspension in "firm" now.
The best way to describe the ride is firmer than stock by a fair degree, but without the wallowing, and it's still fairly comfy in soft. I do know someone near me that had the same tokico springs but with the Illumina II tokico shocks, and he constantly told me his rode softer than mine, I drove his car a few times and there did seem to be a slight difference, with my car a tad firmer. He wished he had just put the stock replacement shocks on.

I can tell you , with my setup, it's pretty damn firm in the ARC "firm" mode, almost like a buckboard. Not really crazy about that mode myself, because most roads aren't too smooth and it's pretty harsh for me, so I keep them locked in "soft". I'm 45 though, so maybe I'm just getting too old for a kidney busting yet good handling setup. :)

This topic has come up many times, as the illumina II's were advertised as "firmer than stock" Tokicos, yet...real world seat -of -the- pants feedback seems to say otherwise , from many people. Good luck.
resized%20dec%2001%20low%20pro%20side.jpg

Got my S/T springs from SHOX.com..I higghly reccomend them..I would get konis or bilsteins however.....Screw the ARC

susepsnsion techniques

i have S/T spings on oem shocks and its not bad... the springs helped handling tremendously.

i am hoping to find a company who does a sprind AND shock package. i figure that would probably one of my best bets, because the components would actually be made for each other. (Just a thought).

I dunno if shox.com has the Tokico Pro-Suspension kit (ILK222) in stock, cos the last time I checked they were on like 3 months back order. Shox prices for the kit is $519.00USD Shipped.

I bought mine from Olympic Imported Parts for the same price with free shipping......if shox.com doesn't have them in stock, I would contact Ralph at Olympic Imported......great guy to deal with.

http://www.olyonline.com/

Cheers,
Calvin

Back