**** it im taking this picece of **** to FORD!

tondog

i cant get this damn thing started! i put in a new motor and bought all new sensors and hooked every thing up the way it was and it just doesnt want to start. well, i guess not every thing is the way it was, other wise it would start. im just fed up with working on this car i just want to drive the damn thing!:mad:

You still in Jacksonville? If so then maybe I can take a look at it for you before you take it to Ford. Besides if you take it to the local one in J-ville, you are most likely going to get the same empty stares I get when I go get parts. It's almast like the supercharger sucks the brains out of most of the techs in that place. Post a reply if you need me to come by.

Biggin':D

no im in cali. thanks for the offer though.:) i know, i hate the idea of having to take it to a place with mechanics that dont know what the heck they are doing. but i dont know what else to do i cant figure this damn thing out.
you know one time when i was working for ford as a parts driver, i had my car serviced and the idiot who serviced it was suppose to do a cooling system flush (as in "the entire" cooling system, like it said on the service sheet) and all he did was a radiator flush, and he forgot to refill my radiator with fluid. he parked it back on the street and turned my keys in. i almost kicked his arse.:mad: how could you forget to refill the coolant?:eek:

Last edited:
tell us more ?????

New engine,who built it??? what was done??? do you have compression??? Help us help you... Give us more info and maybe one of us can be of more help rather than you getting the green shaft from your local dealer that has no clue at all....Let us try....Rich

OK!... Where in Cali????
Maybe one of the S/Cal or N/Cal can come and look at it!!

Kurt Sr (N/Cal)

Let us have a look

I myself am a complete moron but we have some real brains here in SoCal. Bring this topic to the SoCal chapter forum and I think you will get some feedback. You are just a quick run away from Hemet and I'd get up there whenever you need help. Just say so.

Anthony

where to start

In my opinion after helping several people out in your situation, more often than not the Cam Position Sensor Assembly was installed incorrectly. Not that you did it but I have had several and I mean several people swear to me it was in right and when I arrived with my alignment tool they were like what is that thing and I checked there installation and it was wrong. Then soon after that was fixed the car started. So I would check there first. Followed by checking spark, compression, fuel pressure, injector pulsing and a few other very small things.

But like was said before help us to help you...does it do anything? Try to fire? Get the smell of gas, or just turn over and over and over....does it turn over really really slow or fast or does it appear normal?

Let us know,
Chris

wow, thanks for all the replies. my timing should be right because i used the synchro positioner tool. my motor is a reman from ford and has compression. i put the rest of it together as it should be, all coolant, vacuum, and electrical connections went together perfectly. ive checked my fuses and double checked all electrical connections. i bought a scanner and get no codes on the koeo test. my battery is fully charged. i have just under a quarter tank of gas and the motor has oil. at first when i tried to start it, it fired once or twice then just kept cranking over. now when i crank it over it seems like the starter is struggling to turn the motor.

I got a feeling that this is going to be something very simple.

I would check the batt. voltage, than all the grounds. Its possible that the starter can be bad, But check the easy stuff before going to the more expen. items.

Kurt Sr

ok here do this

If you have checked the compression then I would check for fuel PSI at the fuel rail with a pressure tester. I would then get a spark tester and test all of the plug wires and make sure they are on correct and spark while trying to start the car. I would then check and make sure your crank position sensor (pip) is on and installed correctly. I have seen them come loose and wear the sensing ability off from the ring on the early style 89-93. If its a 94-95 disregard. If it has spark, fuel and the injectors are pulsing (you can get an injecter pulsing diode light at a parts store) then something is really haywire like out of sync. I would also check all electrical connections again. Oh yea if its a 89-90 there is a grounding wire that attaches to the back of the head on the drivers side. Make sure that is on it is an orange wire I believe. Another thing it could be and this wouldn't be your fault if they forgot to put sealant on the short head bolts from the remain facility it could have coolant in the cylinders prohibiting it from creating spark. Pull your plugs and check to find out. If you do all that then check back with us and let us know.

Chris

Sounds to me like the cam sensor is aligned properly but 180 degrees (360 crankshaft degrees) off. I had the exact same thing happen.

Sorry that you are not close enough for me to help more, but I agree with some of the sugestions of the cam sensor being off. If not then you could have no fuel pressure in the rail. Another thing, crank sensor could be bad or disconnected. I would check things like; first the pressure on the rail, then the fire in the plugs, and then the sensors. My hunch is in the crank sensor, cam sensor or in the ignition module, or coil packs. Good Luck.

Biggin':confused:

check simple things

Check to see that your plug wires are all in there proper place, I'm sure many of you learned the lesson of the 123564 firing order, if it fired once or twice but doesn't want anything to do with starting it leads me to that , also, the fact that the starter is working hard to turn it over leads me to believe theres no spark-or that its sparking in the wrong cylinder at the wrong time. Good luck

just to clarify

Just to clarify the plug wires should be on the coil pack as follows:

And on the engine as:

with the front of the car at the bottom each time.

Chris

One thing that has happened to me twice is the fuel cutoff switch in the trunk getting bumped accidently. It's on the left side, make sure the red button is pushed in. Could've accidently gotten bumped somewhere along the line putting things in trunk, maybe?

When I ported & polished my heads the wire from the crank position sensor met my blower belt. I was gettin no codes and the engine just cranked and cranked. You might want to chech that. By the way it was a very small gash, didn't even looked like it cut through the wire.

i got an idea

did you by chance have it jacked up higher on any side for a period of time if so it could be the fuel shutoff switch try resseting that

about the ride

Hey man...most people dont catch this when they put a new motor in a car, even mechanics. But that slow start problem you're have could be very much due to the/a ground strap. You need to hook up that bradded wire from somewhere on the engine block to the firewall. it bypasses the rubber mounts which the negative ground would have to run through using energy and runs straight through the chasis instead (ie "chassis ground"). It makes a world of difference. Just thought id give you a head up..I have two behind the rear of the block going to the firewall. Without them, the engine crank/starter are "guaranteed" to crank over slow, even with a fully charged battery. Take care..Brian

Pet peeve

I'm very sure that this problem has been solved in the past two years. When problems are solved why don't people have the courtesy to let everyone know what the solution was? Several people took the time to give helpful suggestions, so for good of the community let us know what the answer was. It would also help stop resurrection of a two-year-old thread. John

AnnivSpeCpe said:
I'm very sure that this problem has been solved in the past two years. When problems are solved why don't people have the courtesy to let everyone know what the solution was? Several people took the time to give helpful suggestions, so for good of the community let us know what the answer was. It would also help stop resurrection of a two-year-old thread. John

He probably would have posted the results but the car (engine compartment) was burned badly in a fire, from a fuel leak, after he got it going. Then he gave up!

Mike

Last edited:
Back