Atte: Mike Re: Porting Manifolds

al35thsc

Okay I got started on porting the manifolds I got from you and have a few questions:

1. What kind of stone/bit were you using with your die grinder?
2. How polished should the inside be?
3. What the hell was that paste that was on one of them? (It scared the crap out of me cuz one looked like it was cracked but it was just a casting flaw I think)

I got the other one out to about 2 inches (ID) and just need to reduce the lip a bit more so its more of a funnel shape.

Al

No kidding Mike, whats with the CHEVY's in your garage? You better put Ford parts in there or I'm not going to your house any more!

Al :D

So, uh, Mike, when were you planing on calling me? Need to ask you a few more ???. Gimme a call please.

Al

I ported mine

I used a carbidetiped hole saw like the ones for doors but made for metal and did a 2 inch cut then cleaned it up some , hey anyone have any tips on port side of exh manifolds they look bad I just did a clean up but those indents where the bolts go are bad got a picture of the exh port on my webshots just click below.

Last edited:
Hey Guy's,

Got them ported out to inner diameter of ~2.00 inches. Some said it would be okay to go for 2.125 (2-1/8) but I think cast iron is too brittle to be that thin and heated to 1000 degrees farenheit and then cooled down. The metal would be quite fatigued after a while. Got them painted with plasticote aluminum engine paint. Says its safe up to 500 degrees farenheit, so I know it wont last but hey, its not like you can see them much anyway!

Al

PS Used a dremmel (max rpm 50,000) and a whole bunch of regular grinding stones (I think aluminum oxide).

your right

the cast iron will crack if its too thin, also if you want a cast iron look vht has a cast iron coating thats good to 1550F $10 a can

If I wanted your advice (or anyone elses for that matter) I wouldn't have addressed this thread to MIKE

Al

merry x mas

merry x mas al . thanks for the true sccosc attitude just trying to help no offence was meant. is this how sccosc members treat others if so its a sad statement of so cals members actions. this will probably make more people want to join. far as I knew this was a public forum open to all . instant messenger is a more suitable method of private messages... or email,, or there is a button at bottom to send private messeges to members . so you dont have to post offencive post showing your bad attitude and childish ways. sometimes we post a reply to try to help.. and do not think anyone would be offended by a offer of help. ive read my post over and over and dont see where I made a offencive gesture towards you if there is somewhere in my post it was not meant to be there sorry.merry x mas and a happy and safe new year to you and yours . best wishes manny.

Last edited:
Don't like hijacked threads.

Al

PS, My opinions do not reflect those of the SCCoA or SCCoSC it was my thread directed towards one person directly, you treat it as you want and I'll treat it how I want.

Back