Propane

old bird

Have had much experience using propane as primary fuel in a multitude of different engines. It is a very forgiving fuel. It always vaporizes, so it does not wash down the cylinder walls, promoting wear. It is very high octane, not bothered by high compression pressures.

There would be no reason to use it if one were not using nitrous. I have had no experience with nitrous; but as I understand it, It does thw things: it is a liquified gas, and when it vaporizes, it absorbs its heat of compression (see earlier e-mail), and it provides additional oxygen to support combustion. Additional oxygen demands additional fuel, whether it be gasoline, propane, or exhaust valves. If one uses nitrous, a very rich fuel condition must be provided.

Since we are using propane as a supplemental fuel here, only a small tank is needed; much like the nitrous tank.

As to the tooling to be used to inject the propane, one might use the same methodology as the nitrous, to be triggered at some point in the boost cycle; either manually by the driver, or by some pressure controlled mechanism.

Thanks Bird,
You indirectly answered my question to a T. The only problem I was having trouble digesting was the mixing of the two gasses. Say injection points. But right after the lower IC tube near the ACT. If nitrous if injected first (being a higher pressure), I figured it would "pickup" the propane leaving the injection point and "help" carry it to the combustion chamber. A sound theory in my mind. Since there is one main variable that will be hard to account for (boost), I would be unsure how the engine would react to the level supply of air (30HP nitrous X .3 lb propane X Z(boost) = ?
TBSCoupe

Back