cold climate Tbird

toolmanmatt

after really cold nights (below 15degrees F) I have problems getting the starter motor to crank. The starter is only a couple months old and I hear the relay working. When it happened the other day I topped off the battery cells with water (5 month old battery) and she started right up. yesterday morning I again had the no start problem, tried jumping starting from another batt, and still no start. 5 min later she started up on her own. Any thoughts?
Matt

Does it start normally on hotter or warmer days?

On a sidenote I started my car up at 28F and it goes fine.... its covered in snow right now though lol.

Last edited:
The cold makes your battery less efficient at releasing energy and it also makes all that oil real thick.

Mine has been cranking a little slow on a brand new battery, but the battery is a 39.95 special.

As far as topping off your battery, Did you use distilled water? It's not good to use tap water. Plus a 5 month old battery should not need any water. I would have the battery checked along with the alternator to make sure you're not under/over charging.

I'm just to your south - Somerset Ma

Aaron

toolmanmatt said:
after really cold nights (below 15degrees F) I have problems getting the starter motor to crank. The starter is only a couple months old and I hear the relay working. When it happened the other day I topped off the battery cells with water (5 month old battery) and she started right up. yesterday morning I again had the no start problem, tried jumping starting from another batt, and still no start. 5 min later she started up on her own. Any thoughts?
Matt

Check the following:
1) cable connections - Be sure that the ends and the connections to the clamps are CLEAN. If they are fuzzy, replace the cable.
2) connections @ Starter - Make sure the connections are clean and tight. Also check the small wire on the starter. The original wire was a push-on terminal. This push-on terminal sucks. Replace it.
3) Battery- I know its fairly new but have a load test done on it. Make sure that all of the cells are up and that they are equal in Spec. gravity. If a cell is over 10% off it will die.

Hope this helps!

Back