scraping/grinding when im braking to a redlight ...

sabre81

i get a grinding/scraping type sound from about 15mph down when braking to a stop sign or red light. i hear it when not braking also if i happen to be rolling through a stop sign at say 5-10 mph. its coming from the rear part of the car. What is this? i know its not good. Theres also a weird sound when accelerating which i cant begin to explain. its sort of like a creeky door type sound. Help! im going to guess differential? :(

Last edited:
Sorry I don't have any advice, but my car does just about the samething when slowing down.It doesn't do it all the time ..Does your car do it all the time? Mine sounds kinda like growl from the rear end, and it only happens below 10mph.

take it to a few brake shops, call someone out and go for a test drive(its free:D), if they all tell you its not the brakes say then what is it, if a few people say the same part, change that piece:cool: :p

Mine doesn't do it all the time, and I don't know how just yet to make it do it. I think it is something drivetrain related in mine.I started hammering it hard one night next day is when I noticed it..I am putting gears in it anyway, hopefully that solve the problem..I think it has something to do with the gear/pinion.

My car has 242,000, and is a 5-speed. I think I might have just shocked the rear end alittle to hard playing around

Last edited:
it sounds like you need new brakes to me, and after driving as long as it sounds like you did you probably are going to need new rotors or at the very least have them turned.

Just noticed you said it sounds like a creaky door...I would take all the break componants in the back...Mine is a low growl. I don't think yours is the Diff....

Try looking at the dust shields from the rotor, sometimes they get a little bend and rub on the rotor. Just simply bent them back a lil to give them clearance.

Cheers,
Calvin

Back