IRS info

F

focusdchaos

Does anyone have pictures/drawings of the IRS on a MN12? Any pictures of it outside the car would be awesome, but some with it installed would be useful also.

Are the measurements for the whole unit avaliable? I am working on a project that might involve the IRS out of a junked MN12.

Look in the links section...

For MN12 performance. I think he has both exploded and out of the car pix.

Rich's MN12 Performance site has this information:

http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12how-to/irs/irs.html

Doesn't have all you are looking for, but may provide some information.

I'm sure you know that the late model Cobra Mustangs have a similar IRS setup. They were designed to fit the current Mustang platform and will probably be lighter (but more expensive and harder to find) than the 'Bird IRS.

You'll want a SC (or possibly V8 'Bird) IRS to get the more desireable 8.8" ring gear and traction lok diff.

These guys that make the Factory Five Racing Cobra install 'Bird IRS suspension in their cars:

http://www.vintageperformancemotorcars.com/

They also sell some poly bushings and other performance upgrades.

Several of us SC owners have also upgraded our rear brakes to the larger Cobra rotor using the stock caliper. The Factory Five guys have inquired here about making an upgrade kit, but I do not know the current status of that project.

Thanks for the links, I am trying to build a Locost Lotus 7 type car, but with IRS.

I am thinking 2.3L Turbo, T5, to complete Tbird rear (diff, axels, suspension).

Thanks again.

Sounds like a neat project car ... just note however that a T-Bird IRS is going to be wide and very heavy ... probably about 30% of the weight of your whole car !! :eek:

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

I think it is alot heavier than I realised. I shall be sticking to a live axel setup.

Also, I had no idea that the Ford 2.3L Turbo weighs 380# Scrap that idea also.

Although, I read that the 3.8L V6 weighs in @ 311# (Ford SVO V-6 Racing Engine Builder's Guide), supercharger and IC can't weigh more than 70# (I wouldn't think). So this may yet be an option. I am concerned about the width though, it being a 90 degree engine.

Back