help 5.0 turbo project

rands555

hey guys im new to this site and pretty new to turbos to, was wondering if any one could help me? i have a 89or90 5.0 HO out of a lincoln, put motor in my car, put a garrett turbo off of a 92 ford f250 7.3L run all exhaust in 2 1/2 inch pipe.turbo comp. a/r 70 and turbine side is 82, trim i have no idea what that is, really i mean that,motor is copletely stock exept for super coil underdrive pully's and flowtech headers, problem is it i gutless on bottom end and it gets to about 8 pounds of boost and still doesnt have that much power where do i go from here? is my exhaust housing to big? do i just need more fuel?o yea it has an AOD tranny and 330 something gears. turbo #tc4305

Well, first of all, this is the Super Coupe Club of America tech board, not many turbo V-8 guys on here ... I will mention that Ford didn't start putting turbos on their diesels until midway through the 1994 model year. You may get more answers either on the message boards of one of the Mustang sites like www.corral.net , or maybe try the Yahoo Groups Junkyard Turbo list group, you can search for it under that name here: http://groups.yahoo.com/

cheers
Ed Nicholson
SCCoO

you need an intercooler, perhaps. and unless that 5.0 came out of an LSC, it ain't a HO. its probably not a good idea to turbo a stock 5.0 anyway, HO or not. the compression is waaay to high, weak internals, heads are junk in forced induction applications, i could go on, but you get the idea...

an 89LSC is H.O with some forged parts, should be able to take up to 9PSI fairly easily. Should have from 250-300 at the wheels if you dyno it or about mid 13 or better at the track(depends what you mean by slow). Also buy an exhaust temperature gauge, you need that to keep an eye on what the engine is doing. Around the 12 PSI the gaskets arent too reliable, especially if you use cheap gas:D

This is definately not the place to ask about a turbo. These guys could help a lot more. http://www.fast-eddys.com/openbb/

FWIW, a stock 5.0 HO is capable of 400rwhp with the right turbo settup.

I have a couple of questions, first, with flowtech headers how are you running your exhaust? If you have too much pipe between the engine and the turbo, you will lose a lot of exhaust energy.

Yes, I think the housing is kind of big, but I have another question, is the motor Speed Density or Mass Air? If it is speed density, I fear that the computer will not be able to properly compensate for boost conditions.

With stock programming, you are probably running lean as well.

Back