super coupe ignition timing

Tom Mack

I've never seen any mention of the proper way to set the ignition timing. Since there is no distributor to turn,is there any way to optomize timing? If so, how is it done? Is there any change in the crank trigger setting? Can anyone fill me in on this? Does the computer do this or is there an ideal initial setting?
Thanks,
Tom

hey tom what did you set yours at to start i am trying to get mine going and the ford book says set the crank at 26 deg after top dead center is that what you did or does it have to be set at 0

to awnser your ? about adjusting the cam sensor i have worked in a dealer ship and the drivability guy did move it some on a n/a 3.8 but he had the computer on it and could tell what the car was doing at that time. he told me it helps some but it is nothing a guy with out the big computer should do. that is what i know on that subject i hope it will help you out some

I got your answer!

Tom.......I just went through this painful experience with my 94 SC. The ignition timing is fixed at 10° BTDC from Ford as is stated on the sticker under the hood. That cannot be changed unless the computer chip is modified. The computer advances or retards the base 10°BTDC timing as you drive the car based on other sensor input.

The 26° ATDC that is called out in the manual is what the Camshaft Position Sensor is set to. To do it right you will need to purchase the little $30.00 plastic alignment tool from Ford. Without the plastic tool, you are guessing.

Here is the procedure that I used. Remove the CPS cap. You will need to rotate the crank until the center of the half moon in the CPS points to the back of the engine. This puts #1 cylinder approaching TDC. If you desire, this can be verifyed by removing #1 spark plug and check for compression. Rotate the crank to 26°ATDC on the harmonic balancer. Once that is set loosen the CSP bolt, insert the plastic alignment tool and rotate the CSP until the plastic alignmen tool snaps into place. Tighten the bolt and that is it!

Ed Springer
SCCoA #1496

edspringer1@aol.com

90 Black Super Cougar 5-Speed
94 Red SC Auto

Back