5 speed rebuild

Hock

Has any one rebuilt their 5 speed by themselves?

I have done a manual trans before but I never had to replace the 1st through 4th syncros. Whats is all involved in taking the gears off the shafts to replace sycros? I have access to any tool that I need the only thing that I can't find is a book that has the teardown procedures. Anybody know where I can get one?

Any input will be a big help, this is something that I want to do at the begining of next year.

You have a couple of options. 1) you can buy the Ford service manual from Helms (which I feel everyone should own anyway) and you can supplement that with some articles in recent Chargin Thunders detailing the M5R2 rebuild. or you can 2) send it to Southern Gear and let them deal with it. From what I have seen they do good work for a reasonable price.

I just finished mine a few weeks ago. Works great. I snapped my output shaft, but now its good as new. Its not bad at all. I got a 25 page instruction from alldata, and its well worth it. I might be able to scan what i have for you...its some great info.

Back