Exhaust Treads...When enough is enough

TBSCoupe

Ok all....I know exhaust sound and sweetness is in the eye of the beholder...or in this matter, the holder of the checkbook, but let's all pool our thoughts together and contibute. I have searched on this subject countless times, but never receive any solid answers. Plus, it seems that this same thing is mentioned at least once a week. Different strokes for different folks, but let's hear some wav files or different recordings. We can also classify them; mild (stock sound), performance (with cats or without), racing or v8 cammed sound (with and without cats). If anyone out there has files that need to be on the web, feel free to email me and I will post them. How about some responses with your muffler, with or without resonator, with or without cats, and tubing size.
TBSCoupe
PS: Sorry to stir the pot, but I know there are a lot of people on here that want to read; "hey I just threw a **** on and took off my resonator and now it sounds like a loud v8....or it sounds like crap!"

Chris Wises SC sounds good!
Dave Neiberts SC sounds good!
Mark Strands XR7 sounds like a big block at idle (headers, no cats, no resonator, 3.5" center pipe, 2 mufflers) but rices out like a honda on the highway

My favorite sound is headers, no cats, flowaster resonator, and flowmaster mufflers. Not loud loud but a throaty idle and powerful tone, doesn't get ricey and high pitched.

I'm trying headers, no cats, terminator resonator, and no mufflers on my silver SC. I think it will be loud but hopefully not Ricey.

2 systems

I got 2 1/2 downtubes with ported manifolds on both of my SC's.

The 90 has NO CATS, NO RES, 3" into 2 1/2 Flowmaster 40series 2 chambers...It is a VERY agressive sound, w/o rice tones and at idle it is deep and rumblin'..Sorry no sound clips...I will get to that though....

The 94 has NO CATS, the Magnaflow RES w/2- 21/2" in and 3" out into the 2-1/2" Magnaflow stainless muffs...4" stainless oval tips, and this thing sounds the bizz as well...I like the idle "Rumblin'" and up high in the R's it sounds VERY impresive...I can not compare the sound to anything else really...I love it though..To do it again would be a toss up between the two setups I have cuz I like them both...The Flowmaster sound is probably the better of the two...Cuz the Magnaflow does have a buzzy spot in the R's, not much though...

Sound clips comin'....

Lata

Rather than start a new thread, I think this goes along with this one.
Is it worth it to just swap the resonator, cat's and mufflers? In other words, all but the pipes. Stock is 2.5" into a center 2.5" then split out to 2.5", right? Cat's are stinking lately, so I figured I might go ahead with that too. But, keeping the stock pipes. Opinions?

You're probably right. Is it 2 2.25" downtubes into another 2.25" center pipe or is the center 2.5"? If it's 2.25" center, might be able to get someone to run 2.5" through, since 3" isn't really possible with normal beds. Worth doing it like this?

joshbea6 said:
I thought stock had 2.25" pipes

More like 1 7/8" to 2" for stock exhaust.......I'm not totally sure, but not 2¼.

Original posted by JAFO
You're probably right. Is it 2 2.25" downtubes into another 2.25" center pipe or is the center 2.5"? If it's 2.25" center, might be able to get someone to run 2.5" through, since 3" isn't really possible with normal beds. Worth doing it like this?
Bill........drive down this way, and You can hear my exhaust. Cost less than 300 bones to run custom 2½ true duals from cats back. There is a local shop here in Slidell that did mine for 300 even.

Calvin

FearThis SC said:
More like 1 7/8" to 2" for stock exhaust.......I'm not totally sure, but not 2¼.

Bill........drive down this way, and You can hear my exhaust. Cost less than 300 bones to run custom 2½ true duals from cats back. There is a local shop here in Slidell that did mine for 300 even.

Calvin

Only problem, I've got the '91 gas tank. Really don't want to switch gas tanks. Didn't realize it was so constricted in the pipes. Does that shop do mandrel bends? That would be worth a road trip. ;)

How does this fit in? Saw this on ebay with this pictures. Flowmaster setup that gives a p/n for one for the SC. What's the deal with the conversion kit? Haven't seen this 17100 kit anywhere.

Edit: Ok, saw the other post on the Flowmaster setup. Still, I'm curious about this on a 91 & earlier. Would the Magnaflow resonator be a good addition?

Attachments

• flowmaster catback.jpg
    flowmaster catback.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 206
Last edited:
Bill, Only one problem with that drawing. Look at the Muffler set-up. It's got one major flaw. The hard 90 degree bend going into the front side of the muffler will kill the natural flow of the exhaust. A good exhaust has gentle bends for better aspiration and flow. Check out the exhaust that they have listed on supercoupeperformance.com it has got some great piping work, a little on the expensive side, but it is some beautiful work.

Yeah, that's what I'd really like to have, but I can't stomach $740 for it. Looking around some on Flowmaster's site and Jegs, there's confilicting info on if there's 1 or 2 mufflers. I'm wondering if that diagram is correct? Anyone here got pic's of theirs? Opinions?

Back