you may have the wrong thermostat!

Thrty5thSC

a few years ago i blew a head gasket at 164,000 mi. before i new what it was i changed the t-stat. when i took the old one out it siad 94mm on it. the new one said 54mm. so i called the parts store to make sure it was the right one and they said yes. well since i blew that head gasket my car has run hot.i had bought 5 or 6 t-stats, different brands from different stores and all were 54mm.
ford put a new engine, radiator, water pump, all kinds of sensors,even the fan control module by the air box.still ran hot.
i took the t-stat that ford put in there and sure enough 54mm.
i could not find another 94mm t-stat anywere.i just got my robert shaw 180 deg. and the opening is bigger than that 94mm was.
my car now runs at the perfect temp. even when i beat on it like i just did tonight.stay's right on the "n" in norm. 3 engines burnt up in about 15'000 mi. all for a stupid t-stat. if you have high heat problems, check you t-stat out if it says 54mm that is too small. trust me it cost me 10,000 to figure this out. i did my first engine,ford did the next,ford did the third under warranty.
good luck
joe

Well I think you may have had other problems besides the t-stat.

My car never goes past N and I have a 195 t-stat and the cooling fan mod.

Thanks for the info Joe! Im just about to replace my T-stat, and now I will be aware of that . That is a big change in opening size, that would definatly impair it's cooling potental!
Thanks again for the info,
Greg

t-stat was the problem, every thing that had to do with cooling system is new.for the last 4000mi.i wired my cooling fan so it comes on as soon as you start the engine and it would still run past the "m". now my cooling fan is connected the factory way and i did not here it turn on once inover an hour of driving.never went past the "n", no fan. definitly the t-stat.
joe

How in the hell did you keep getting the wrong t-stat?

I've used t-stats from meijers, auto zone, car quest, advance, pep boys, etc.... never had a problem. If ford put an engine in my car I'd probably check the t-stat too. Its not like its that hard to change.

i have no idea. i bought them from napa,advance,pep boys,car quest,and ford. everybody gave me that size 54mm and all said it was the right one.the origanal one was 94mm. i don't get it.
yesterday morning my car ran hot yesterday evening my car was cured. no more worries about the temp guage. i got just over 4000miles on this engine and until last night i was afraid to drive it because some times the guage would go past the "M" even with the fan on constantly. even after driving it today the fan still has not turned on once, and stays on the "n" at a red light and a little below when moving.this is great, i went through hell with this car.

Somethin's fishy there. I've never check mine, but I've never had cooling problems either. None of my cars ever run over the N anyhow. The only time it ever ran up around them M was when I once had an air pocket....

Back