whats the normal RPM's i should be running under normal acceleration?

smokymance

i think im runnin low on my R's when i accelerate...i know birds have stock wide ratio gears...but i think 2gs is pretty low on a decent fast acceleration...i dunno...never been in any other t-bird ...is this normal???thanks ....

That's a good question - I had to think about it for a while, but I'm positive the answer is probably about 76 or so.

Good luck!

Isnt 76 a Bit high? I was thinking if you filled up on R's before the crucial acceration point you could do better... But to answer your question more thourally... 75.98753

Thank you

Chris

i think im runnin low on my R's when i accelerate...i know birds have stock wide ratio gears...but i think 2gs is pretty low on a decent fast acceleration...i dunno...never been in any other t-bird ...is this normal

What the hell are you talking about? Is your car an auto? Are you talking about the torque convertors stall speed? When you hit the gas from a stop the tach jumps to around 2000 really fast?

If not, then I don't have a clue what you are talking about, be more specific please!

And TBirds do not have wide ratio gears, the 94/95 4R70W birds had different gearing, but if you are talking about rear end gears then you need to pay attention more.

normal acceleration!!!!!!!

im talking about normal everyday acceleration...not ganking the gas pedal and racing.........

Scott Long said:

And TBirds do not have wide ratio gears, the 94/95 4R70W birds had different gearing, but if you are talking about rear end gears

Um Scott I hate to correct you and all, seeing as you work for Auto zone :) . But 94 95 Auto SC comes with the 4R70W trans as you stated. These are wide ratio trans. the second gear is pretty wide. This is why we can start off in second and wind it out to about 75 mph. they also come with 3.31 rear ends (except cali cars)

Now to the uneducated ( post originator) the trans in the 94 95 auto is a 4r70w 4 means 4 speed R is for reverse 70 is model W is Wide ratio gears.

And from what I understand ( my brain hurts from deciphering the post) is that you are stating that your car is sluggish when acclerating you might want to get the torque converted checked out, check your stall speed.

What is wrong here?

BIG SCCoA Welcome to a new guy! (NOT!)

All you repliers having a bad holiday season? Certainly the question was not stated in the best possible way, but you could be a little nicer in asking for clarification.

To the original poster, maybe you could try and restate the question with a little more background information and we can try to assist.

whoo...friendly crowd today...lol

;)

if i understood your question correctly..you were asking that....when you accellerated normally...and you were at that point of finsihing your acceleration.(such as when you got to the desired speed)...what should your rpm's be running at during the high stages of accelleration....correct?...

if so....i think that seems a little low....mine goes about 2800 when accellerating normal....but when i womp on it i'm still not going into that redzone....gotta love all that slack the sc picks up...hehe

hope this helped....or confused...either way..heh...

SCs have lots of torque at low RPMS and don't require high revs to get you moving. There is no normal, that all depends on your driving style and how quickly or slowly you press the gas pedal. My normal is 2800-3200 rpms (3.73 gears and 2700 stall converter).

The quicker you press the gas pedal down the more likely you are to get into boost and have more acceleration at a given rpm. As mentioned earlier, gearing and torque converter stall settings will also affect what rpms your turning at a given speed.

Hope this helps.

David

Last edited:
My 92 5-speed idles around 900 rpms. When I start it it runs about 1100-1200 for about 20 seconds then idles at 900. My 90 automatic idles around 900 in park and 600-700 in gear.

And as for your car revving. Mine pulls hard in any gear all the way up to 6000 rpms. At 6000 rpms at 10 psi my car is screaming just begging to get the next gear. Two of my major drawbacks right now are 2.73 gears and a stock blower. But around here I can beat 95% of the cars on the road, and in the town I work in there's no competition. I've made some money off the kids in that town. They wouldn't know a performance car if it burned out and left hot rubber on their hoods.

Hey I am gonna admit that I don't know much about 4R70W's and in my opinion they are junk. I really don't have any desire to own a late model automatic bird. Too much trouble of getting the trans to perform, putting a trac-lok in the rear, etc... Why not just start off with a better baseline and get an early AOD. I happen to like the AOD and I think that it is a better trans than the 4r70w.

About me working at Auto Zone, don't knock my knowledge about cars just cuz I don't know much about 4r70w's other than the fact my friends SC has one and my old Plymouth Acclaim shifted more positive and faster. :p

Hey I am gonna admit that I don't know much about 4R70W's and in my opinion they are junk. I really don't have any desire to own a late model automatic bird. Too much trouble of getting the trans to perform

Scott, the fact that you dont know much about the 4r70w gives your the right to call them junk? The 4r70w with the proper mods is the best tranny ford has ever made.

The worst tranny ford has made is the POS AOD that you like so much.

I will admit the 94 4r70w had a few problems.. but those can easily be fixed. Dont base your decision on all 4r70w's just because your "friends" 94 shifts slow. Have him do the J-mods to it and throw a chip in and I garrentee you will change your mind about 4r70w's all together.

Have you not rode in Tony Serno's car at all when you were at the tbu meets? He has all the upgraded stuff in his and it by far is the best shifting auto I have been in.

Chris

Actually Chris I've never rode in Tony's SC, just sat in it and heard the stereo. He did pull up next to me and lay rubber going into 2nd gear on the way home from the nationals though. It seemed like it was shifting very firm.

I'll have to catch a ride in it sometime. My only basis on a 4r70w is Dereks SC and my friends F150. Neither of which impressed me, but I guess I shouldn't call them junk.

I've owned an ridden in stock aod cars. I have a transgo in mine, and while better than stock I am still not satisfied with the way it shifts. I am going to upgrade to a lentech valve body, I like to have the control of the trans. I guess in that aspect the 4r70w is better because you can hold any gear you want.

I am definately trying to persuade my friend to bring his car down to STL in the spring and let brian mod his trans and burn him a chip. My only other pet peeve about the late model autos is the rear ends. At the track I coudn't get below a 2.4 60 ft. with Dereks SC no matter if I nailed it, stalled it up, heated 'em up, launched dry, lowered pressure, etc.... kept putting the tire up in smoke. I suppose if I found a good deal on a late model auto i'd consider it because it has potential.

The one thing I see a lot of in MM&FF is AOD's and C4's and C6's being built in the drag cars. Rarely do you see a 4r70w so I guess again I'm just going by what everyone else is using and stereotyping the late model auto trans. Sorry if I've offened anyone with my claims to the 4r70w as junk. Aod's aren't that great stock either.

Hey Cole...

See that little needle there on the tach... well when that goes into the red and reads 9000 rpm's????

That's bad !!

Back