Car Loses Power Please Help!!!

1991tbirdsc

OK my car is starting to get to me to the point where i dont want it anymore first alternator, then starts heating up, then the HG's and now this. ok heres is the problem my car seems to lose power while i am driving and when it does the check engine light comes on and when i come to a stop it idles very very rough at like 300 rpm ,and i also have an air/fuel ratio meter and while this is happening it seems to be very very lean even when i just tap on the gas is stays lean. then after letting it sit for like a few minutes the check engine light turns off and the the car runs perfect. what could it be. and when i mean lose power it loses power not even enought to make the car move, it seems like if it is boggin really bad.

thanx in advance for ur thought and advices or opinions

Sounds like the fuel pump isn't able to keep up. Bad pump or clogged filter. Have the pressure checked. If fuel isn't the problem, a bad DIS module can do the same thing.

David

Here's a thought: since your car is giving you a check engine light why don't you run the test on it and see why your check engine light is coming on. The car is trying to tell you something. Most people ignore check engine lights, but I keep a code reader in my glove box, if my light comes on, I'll check it next time I stop. If it starts acting up I'll pull over and check it on the spot.

Dave is right though it does sound like its running out of fuel. I don't know why that would turn your CE light on unless you got an extremely lean reading from your O2 sensors. Also could be a maf sensor code, or a tps, or IAC sensor. But without running diagnostics you won't know.

i dunno....

i had the same problem, and the codes i was pulling were not helping me. I replaced the Fuel Filter, TPS, O2 sensors, spark plugs, wires, coil, and finally the DIS. It was the DIS the entire time. It also helped that I replaced all the ignition parts too, but, the last thing i changed ended up being the problem. hopefully this helps....Good Luck

i dunno....

i had the same problem, and the codes i was pulling were not helping me. I replaced the Fuel Filter, TPS, O2 sensors, spark plugs, wires, coil, and finally the DIS. It was the DIS the entire time. It also helped that I replaced all the ignition parts too, but, the last thing i changed ended up being the problem. hopefully this helps....Good Luck

one thing....

does it seem to be running on, lets say 4 cylinders? thats what mine was doing....i was kinda mad at it, and i decided before i bought the parts, i bought a coil, to my dissappointment, it didnt fix the problem, then i bought the DIS later. if it didnt work afterwards, i was gonna junk it....what i did to find out it was the DIS(a rather crude way too), i just started pulling spark plug wires off the coil. do you see where i am going with this? i started pulling to see if they had spark, if they did, then they were good...it ended up being the DIS, from my deductive reasoning, because of the fact that on the old coil, and new one, the same 2 plugs were not firing at all....again, hope this helps..

Back