Leaking Transmission

89SCK@t

For some reason, hell loves to reside in my car....

On the way to work today, I heard grinding metal when I was turning,(I already know what it was, just need to limp it around, don't make alot of money) it was louder than usual....so I looked under the car, and one of my boots from the rack and pinion, finally fell off. But thats not the problem...I noticed smoke coming from my exhaust. It wasn't the regular smoke you get from a hole in the exhaust...so anyway, a big ole' red colored drop falls to the pavement and by now you can guess what was burning...tranny fluid...no I'm thinking, I just had the tranny worked on, and its leaking....not only that, but my tranny is a 5spd, why is the fluid red?

The question is, what are the common points that a transmission leaks from? And why the hell is the tranny fluid red?

Please help!

The recommended fluid for the 5 speed manual tranny is Dexron II. The 89 service manual also calls for 5 ounces of Friction Modifier to be added after a rebuild. the Ford part number for the Friction Modifier is C8AZ-19B546-A.

kind of off topic but i just changed my manual trans fluid and filled it up with mercron V. is that ok?

storey

I went to the shop that rebuilt my tranny, and yelled at them, cause it was leaking, they fixed it, and i saw them putting in red fluid...i was like, "isnt that ATF? mine is a 5spd, why are you putting that in there?" they didnt answer me...then i got the little warranty info paper, you know, saying that i had a 4 month, 4,000 mile warranty. and they put ATF in my transmission....is that bad? or is it better than putting 90w oil and all that other good stuff in my tranny?

ATF (mercron) is one of the highest quality oils used in cars today. I used it in Probe's my 5spd, out of direct recomendation from Ford.

Back