Clutch Recomendations??!!

DrewsSC

Whats up guys. Alright i own a 93 5-sp (obviously). Anyways im replacing the clutch within the next few weeks. The car is all stock at this point but i plan on doing some minor performance upgrades soon. So the question is, should i get on O.E. clutch (it has lasted 113K) or should i get like a Centerforce or so. Thanks......Drew

When i bought my car it came with a centerforce clutch. When i went to rebuild my tranny i wanted to replace the clutch because it was getting low. Well i didnt have the $$$ to get another centerforce so i replaced it with a stock clutch. And i hate it. The centerforce felt 100 times better then stock. So i would recommed a aftermarket clutch.

I have a stage II centerforce and with
245 50 16's, I can put it in 2nd and smoke'em.
Just try that with an OEM :)
I upgraded after I fragged 2 OEM's.:rolleyes:
It is especially imortant to upgrade your clutch since
you want to bump your performance.
Trust me you won't be disapointed with centerforce.

Put it in 2nd and smoke 'em? From a dead stop or a roll? I have a stock clutch and I can start in 2nd gear if I have to but its not good, I'd never dump it in 2nd (at least not with this clutch) but I can usually get a 1-2 chirp out of my 245's. I did pull up next to a T/A a few nights ago going 50, revved it in 2nd and let out and spun them pretty good from a 50 mph roll.

I am having my trans rebuilt soon and I am going to get a new clutch as well. I was thinking of a stock one but maybe I should put a centerfoce in there. Are you using an 11" clutch?

Dead stop, roll it doesn't really matter.
I have done what you described in 3rd at 60mph once.
If I shift quickly 1-2 I will spin them about 20 feet or more
depending on my shift point. If it's wet and I floor it in second I will hit redline.
It's fun. :)
And yes I think I am using an 11in clutch.
The centerforce clutches can take huge amounts of
abuse and just shrug it off.
I autocross in the summer and am never nice to my
clutch. I have had it for about 3 years now with not a
single problem.
But if I had it to do over/when I replace this one I thing I
will go with the centerforce dual friction because I want the extra holding power.
Just be advised that using a centerforce that your pedal
will be much firmer than stock.

Recomendations

Hey guys, thanks for the tips. I can't wait until i can romp on my SC again. My clutch has been slowly getting worse and worse, its at the point now were if i get on it in second it slips. I ******* hate it! I own a bomb ass car and I can't even race or have fun w/ it right now. Anyways, once i do get a new clutch, probably a Centerforce I am going to break it in very nicely and then have some fun!!!!

and remember shift as hrd as you want just dont break your arm:D 91 sc bone stock daily 138k driver w/ 5 spd

Get the 94-95 11.5" Centerforce II. It'll hold as much as a 11" DF and have a lighter pedal and smoother engagement.

30K miles on mine now and can still do 2nd gear burnouts. :) (at a stop holding the brake on)

lol....about a month ago i posted this same thread and everyone told me not to go with centerforce, so i didn't. I bought a heavy duty LUK kit. Now everyone is saying go with centerforce......i can never win.

yea i would be getting my first 5speed, and i dont know how to drive a stick so im guessin it wont be long till i have to change the clutch on it. so by that time i change it i will know how to drive it.. so what kinda clutch so i go with? obviously an aftermarket clutch... but which one?

get CF 30% for lighter pedal pressure or stick with stock. Stronger clutches dont allow any slippage and you will wear/break more expensive parts sooner. Getting a DF CF because the name sounds hardcore when you say it or because it allows you to rev the piss out of 4rth and dumping it gives a pissy chirp is not a good reason...cough cough ricer cough:rolleyes:. Im assuming this isnt going in a 400hp car either where the stock clutch totally slipped with drag slicks.

oh yea a DF will rip out your fire-wall and the support under the windshield also from the added pedal effort:D, so even taking it easy with those is destroying your car, you have to remove the entire dash to repair it :cool:

Most people that blow out CF clutches either a.) don't break them in b.) don't replace the worn slave cylinder. The shaft the TO bearing rides on wears bad and the clutch can't release. So it wears out. or c.) Just can't drive.

Honestly, I had an 11" CF I in my car when it made 260 RWHP and 350 RWT. I ran 14.5 quarters with street tires and 2.73/3.08 gears. I could also pull 2.0x 60' times. Only after 50k miles did it start to slip, and then ONLY at the track. I launch by slipping the clutch at 3000 rpm for about 100 feet.

The 11.5" CF has been absolutely bomb proof. It's still strong as ever with nearly 30k miles and the motor specs in my sig. The only thing different is the 3.31 gears I have now. It might be even higher power now too.

~S

Back