spindle change Q's

devon90sc5speed

what is the easiest/cheapest way to do a
spindel change?
I want real cobra r's; not cheep knockoffs.
I still dont understand why ford decided to use
5 on 4.25 instead of the standard 5 on 4.5.

The cheapest way would be to find a 93-95 SC or 93-98 Mark VIII donor car and get the front spindles, calipers, caliper brackets, rotors and sway bar end links. You’ll need the 94-up Mustang front hubs and dust cover caps. You should use a new hub nut (one time use torqued to 250 ft/lbs). The rotors will need to be redrilled for the 4.5” bolt circle.

On the rear, you either need the 99-00 IRS Cobra hubs or redrill and re-stud (1/2" studs) your existing hub. New nuts are needed here as well.

Of course on an older car this is the perfect time to replace worn front suspension parts and also the rear bearings.

I also recommend (very strongly) that you have a machine shop make up some hub-centric rings to take up the space between the stock rear hubs and your Cobra wheels. This looks like a doughnut and fits over the hub center before the wheel goes on. If you use the rear Cobra hubs (look for take-offs), then this is not necessary.

If you swap to the mustang pattern on the front, you don't need to redrill your disks. The mustang disks are a direct fit then.

John

Just to clarify, you'll need to purchase those Mustang rotors. If you reuse the stock rotors from the donor car they will have to be re-drilled. (Re-drilling probably cheaper and new Mustang rotors easier, since that pertains to the original question.)

Will the front spindles, calipers, caliper brackets, rotors and sway bar end links fron the cobra work as well?
Or do I have to use the 93-up sc or mark VIII stuff?

No, they will not work. The Cobra uses a MacPherson strut type front suspension, while the MN12/FN10 platform uses a short-long arm with coilover shock.

John

as far as the front goes, you should only have to get the mustang hubs, and then either redrill your rotor or get the mustang rotors, unless you want to do the spindles as well.

i have an 89 which i changed to the 5x4.5 bolt pattern. for the front i simple put on the mustang hubs and redrilled the rotors. for the rear, i redrilled the hubs, put in new studs, and drilled the rotors.

Back