prob with 1990 stock t bird sc

neverfastenough

I have a stock, 1990 T-Bird SC, and i`m having a few problems with the engine. The engine is cutting out. After the engine stops, and u wait a few min. it will start right back up. There is no pattern it just does it when it feels like it. More often when hot.

Any other bird lovers with the same problem :confused:

Check out this post. This happens quite frequently when it starts getting cold.

idle

Mine is the O2 sensors. At least that is where I am starting. See ifyour engine had a code first off. I actually let mine die twice so that I would get a code. Generally if it is O2 sensors, there will be a code. Mine was drivers side always lean. Just FYI. The O2 sensors are pretty easy to get to as well. $53.05 at CarQuest. Don't get them from O'Rielly's as they are prone to go bad a lot faster, if it is O2 sensors. But it could be anything from engine mounts, throttle position sensor or the idle air control. Even the DIS can cause similar problem, although that is usually under acceleration. This will give you a few ideas though. First get your codes pulled. Even if there is no check engine light, there may be a code in there. Hope this helps.

Could also be the crank position sensor.
When it doesn't start, and you are turning over the engine, does the 'up-shift arrow' light stay on?

(If it does, then it's your crank position sensor.)

If you are not getting a up shift light on on the dash as you crank it I would replace the DIS mod.
If the DIS has been on the car from day1 than it could be that the Elc. grease that you put under the DIS has gottin old. This stuff helps keep the heat away from the DIS mod.

It sounds like (from what you have said) that as the car gets warm up it just shuts down when ever it wants. This could be do to heat getting to the DIS. If you know someone near you that might have one that would be the first thing to try. Remember to recoat the new one with the Elc. grease. Its always good to keep a spare Cam. sencor and DIS mod around .

Kurt Sr

Back