I fought the motor mounts...

Wicked SC

... and I won (I think).

Hey, gang! How's everyone doing? I have a quick question:

A few weeks ago, I replaced the motor mounts on my '95 SC. I did the work myself (whew! What a job), and installed the solid rubber mounts. The old ones were COMPLETELY DESTROYED (O.E. fluid-filled). Anyway, The car feels a lot better now, except for one thing - I got a little vibration going on.
I waited for a couple of weeks to see if the shimmying would subside once the new mounts got settled in, but no such luck. When the car's idling, I can see the power antenna whipping back and forth, which I never noticed with the old mounts (even if they were completely shot).
So for all of you SC'ers who have gone to the solid mounts, is this normal, or did I forget to tighten something correctly (please don't tell me this is the case!)? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I've got solid mounts in two of my cars and did not notice any more vibration that the worn out stock ones or stock ones in good shape. Is the engine running rough? When was the last time you changed your plugs and wires?

Oops. Forgot mention that, didn't I? I just bought the car like 6 months ago. I immediately installed new plugs (Motocrcaft Double Platinums) after buying it, installed new Magnecore wires, new fuel, air, and oil filters (although I got a new K&N panel filter and removed the air silencer one month ago), new PCV valve, flushed the cooling system, got new hoses, new thermostat, replaced driver's side Valve cover gasket (with Felpro), and resealed the I/C Tubes. I'm replacing the belts when I replace the radiator this weekend. I've always used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil and K&N Gold oil filters.
The car does not run rough at all, but I've noticed that once in while when idling (after warming up), the RPM's will drop to like 400 or 500 and it WILL stutter a little. The engine always corrects itself after a second or two, and it revs back up to normal. This is something that the car has done since I bought it. I'm getting 19 inches of Mercury at idle, and about 12 PSI's of boost at WOT.
Did I leave anything out? Let me know. Thanks.

Hello,
I second the motion of a vacuum leak and/or IAC on the way out.
When I replaced the motor mounts I also replaced with the solid rubber. I noticed less vibration and the beauty of power steering :)
Laterz,
D Rainer

NRCLSC.bmp

Wicked SC said:
... and I won (I think).

A few weeks ago, I replaced the motor mounts on my '95 SC. I did the work myself (whew! What a job), and installed the solid rubber mounts.

Hey WickedSC,
Where did you get your mounts? I need a set too .........

Hey, Forcefed, I got them at a local Car Quest (I've got connections there). But you can get them online for something like $22 each. I think it's something like partsexpress.com or something like that. I'll do a search and post the URL.

Close 'nuff. The site is Express Auto Parts

Last edited:
Back