Differences between 91 & 92 SC?

Red Thunder SC

I am thinking of selling my '92 SC and buying a '91 SC instead. What differences are there that I should be aware of between the 91 and 92?

The only differences as far as I know are the taillights and trunk lid. Also the '91 had "SC" in the front bumper and '92s didn't.

#1 (and foremost) 91's were the last with the stamped SC in the front bumper
#2 91's had the larger gas tank, 92's the smaller, but easier to upgrade the exhaust
#3 Possibly the radiator? Could be wrong. When did they go to plastic?

I believe that they went to the plastic tanks in 90. Would the different fuel tank prohibit me from putting on an exhaust system like the flowmaster catback system?

I think plastic was after 91 sometime.
Yes, the bend makes it difficult. I'm still looking for a shop to do mine, don't want to swap out the tank. Supercoupe Performance offers one, but it's over $700. Need a shop that does mandrel bends. The 92's have a smaller tank since they straightened out the passage for the pipes, and they don't have this problem.

My 89 has a plastic tank. There is some metal sheilding on it.

89tank.jpg

i believe the plastic radiator tanks started in 93. i know someone with a metal 92 tank and i believe it to be original.

Last edited:
Are you guys trying to tell me that 89s didn't have plastic tanks? Why was a stock 89 part number fuel pump in a plastic tank in my 89 SC? This tank looks stock even had some assembly line marks on it.

Are we talking about 92 up tanks being metal or what here?

I think the "tank" issue is a confusion on gas tanks and radiator tanks.

All SCs have plastic gas tanks, but only the early models (89-91, possibly mid year change) have metal (brass) radiator tanks. Newer SCs have plastic radiator tanks.

yeah thats what i thought, my 93 is a very early 93, in fact it was manufactured in july 92 as well, and it has a plastic radiator.

Back