when do you have to get a chip?

storey

i have looked up alot of peoples cars and their mods and most everyone does not use any performance chip. i thought that if you changed things like mafs, injectors, fuel pumps or removing cats and such that you had to have a chip for things to run properly. thanks for any info.

later

storey

Actually a lot of people have custom burnt chips or EEC tuners.

Most guys that want a chip will wait until they a done whatever mods they are planning on, and then get a chip burnt according to those mods. If they get a chip before they are done their mods chances are that a reburn will be needed later on.

The tuner costs more, but you have a lot more flexability and conveinence.

Once you swap cams or go bigger than 38# injectors you will need a tuner or custom chip to get the most from your mods.

I've had a hypertech chip, EEC tuner and now use a custom Jerry chip that has been reburned at least 8 times by Brian Herron while tuning it on the dyno.

The more mods you have, the more a chip or tuner will help, mainly with MAF transfer functions, AF ratios and timing. I perfer the chip because the tuner connections are not very tight fitting or durable and tend to be very finicky. However if I was out in the boonies with no one to reburn it, I would have kept the tuner.

David

I didn't like anything about the Hypertech. It cost to much ($310) it advanced the timing to much and caused the engine to run hotter. After I removed it a year later I couldn't feel any diffirence. I felt like it would be ripping someone off to sell it, so I gave it away.

Several people around here swear they make their cars run great or faster with no ill effects. That was not my experince.

Now that custom reburnable chips are avalible at about the same price, there is no reason to go with a generic one fits all chip like Hypertech.

David

If you are going to get a chip, IMO there's only three ways to go, either dennis reinhart, fordchip, or myself. Using a Superchips, Diablo, hypertech, or Jet chip "off the shelf" calibration isn't ideal for a modified SC, and their programs don't do as much. Plus, if you need a change done to the stock program, they will charge you up the a$$.

As for the tuner, those are okay too. They cost more, and at times may not be as reliable. On the positive side, you can make minor changes like removing a little spark if you get pinging. I've tuned cars and given them .bin files to load in their tuner so they could play with them. The thing to consider with a tuner is that you can't just pick one up and tune your car. They are not user friendly. Even though there are a whole bunch of people here that do run tuners, I think almost everyone starts from someone else's file (like a Fred file) that has already been built based on their modifications, ideally on a dyno. Writing a file from scratch is easy once you have done a couple dozen, but it takes time, research, patience, experience, and a whole lot of learning. Plus without the proper guidance, you could easily mess your car up.

Hopefully I won't get flamed, it's just my honest opinion.

Brian

I'd agree with Brian on the tuner not being user friendly. But I'd also say that once you get past the learning curve there, the tuner is better than a chip, hands down. The reason is that you can make little tweaks at any time, without having to pop out a chip and get a reburn. Like when I go to the track, I bring the laptop, in case I want to retune the timing for some race gas or something like that.

If you start with a Dr. Fred file, it's not too hard to start making little adjustments and customizing it for your car and driving style. That's what I did and it's worked out great.

that's true, although with a chip or tuner you can set the octane pin to advance timing for race gas, so you don't have to lug around the laptop (extra weight lol)

There is some convenience to the tuner if you want to make changes. Most of the SC's I've burned chips for haven't had the need to change anything either though. Once you get a car tuned, there's not a whole lot of things you can do that will call for tuning changes.

Last edited:
Intake
Exhaust
3.27 gears
5% Pulley
Chip??

Would it be worth getting a chip burned to go with this or would it not make much difference. Not a track car. Those mod's are about as far as I plan to go, and I think I've got the car in shape to start on the list. Is the chip mostly for those just trying to get an extra .1 at the track or would it be somewhat noticeable. Sorry for the newbie question, but I've never had experience with them.

Jafo,

Get a 180* thermostat and with your modz you have already, get in on that group buy and you will notice a difference, plus as you expand on your modz you can have it reburned at a later date if needed. I have on of those chips (prior to group buy *&%$) and it made a world of a difference for me. I also have a lot of modz to go with it, but even with your modz, you will see the benefits.. Of course, that's just my opinion~

http://www.sccoa.com/member/index.php?uniquename=rongo

Have fun & good luck!

Anthony

Haven't made those mod's yet, I'm just getting started. I figured it would be best to wait until I'd finished that plan out before getting a chip. Laying out my plan for what to do.

Back