Never buy Autozone alternators!

TbirdSCFan

You've heard it before, but I'll confirm it

Reman alternators from Autozone are P'sOS. The most RECENT one I have died after not quite a month. I heard it long before I needed one, but due to availability (mostly), I went ahead and bought one from them anyway. Duralast POS #1 failed after about 5 weeks by dropping out at all engine RPMs over 1000. Duralast POS #2 failed in less than a month by just dropping out at any old time. And of course, they don't just up and break, they work some then stop and work a while and stop just erratically enough to test OK when you take it back. So you run them until your battery dies and you're stranded along side the ****ing road some where with a dead car. [This just happened to me this evening] :mad: :mad:

So there you have it. Just like everyone else has said.. you go through 3 or 4 before you get a good one. I don't know what the heck they use for parts, but I'm amazed that they can make money when constantly shipping crappy alternators back-n-forth from the factory and pissing off their customers all the while.

My advice to anyone needing an alt is pay the extra $200 and get a working new one from Napa.. If Duralast POS#3 goes.. I'm going to throw a hissy fit at the store manager and get a refund and go do what I should have done in the first place. :rolleyes:

i have a beck-arnly? alternator from napa,i think i paid like 225 for it 5 yrs ago life time is important because i'm on my third one. i think it is because my car will sit for long piriods of time without being started and then i'll start driving it agian everyday. i think it is bad for alternators to sit like that?i do know high rpm's on a new alt. is bad,you do have to breack them in.
joe

Sometimes it's luck. Usually new is better than reman. I bought a $19 valuecraft (autozone) reman 1 yr alt for the old 83 T-Bird and that thing ran 7 years and was still going.

You did understand that you bought a LIFETIME warranty alternator , that means you would have to keep replacing it for a lifetime :D

Jerry

Back