JBL prem sound ?????

GONE14S

I know that there is a amp. under the subwoofer in the trunk.
There is another "radio amp." that drives the 4 speakers in the car. Is this located in the trunk tray????

Thanks Kurt Sr

Yes....and each of the speakers has 2 in it, so you technically can say that u have 8 speakers and a sub. Also, the main amp in the tray feeds the sub amp it's bass signals.

Red thunder sc,
Thanks thats what I needed to know. I thought it was up under there ,but I don't have my car here to check it out right now.

Want to make sure that turkeys working...
Thanks again..Kurt Sr

Red thunder sc,
Thanks thats what I needed to know. I thought it was up under there ,but I don't have my car here to check it out right now.

Want to make sure that turkeys working...
Thanks again..Kurt Sr

haha, no problem. I am currently trying to piece a stock sub system together for my car. It was swiped before I bought my car, and the JBL system really needs that subwoofer to fill in the bottom end.

By the way Kurt Sr, how do you like your '91 5spd? I am thinking of selling my 92 AOD and buying a friends '91 5 spd. I used to own a probe 5 spd, and I loved it. Now, I get that urge that "I just gotta shift something". I thought that this would go away, but as it turns out, it has been over a year driving the auto SC, and I still feel greatly attached to a 5 spd. Is the 5 spd 'notchiness' really as big of an issue/problem as a lot of people make it out to be?

Thanks,
Stephan

Well the wife has a 93 aod. I guess I have the best of both worlds. I get tired of one I just drive the other. This of course is only when she lets me. I do have to favor the 5-speed though.

Kurt Sr

JBL system

Concerning the JBL subwoofer;Ford has discontinued the JBL sub woofer which was only available as a complete unit. You couldn't buy the speaker only. As of about six months ago,there were still some units in dealer's stock (about 25 or 30). Your local Ford parts man can find the part # and tell you which dealers still have one in stock.
One funny thing, the speaker is 6 ohms, not 4 or 8 ohms.I replaced mine with a Kenwood 6" sub at 4 ohms and it seems to work fine but cranking the radio at full bass might possibly hurt the amp.
good luck,

Also,the price was outrageous,as you might expect from Ford.

Tom

ok, something is really confusing me here, from what i've read so far i understand that there's a subwoofer? Does this subwoofer come stock or?.... and if it does... is it in an 90 sc?

the sub woofer came with the JBL Premium Sound Package, it was an option. Premium sound includes 8 speakers and 1 sub, and two amps.

I have the premium sound system in my sc, and was wondering if anyone has changed amps(now I finding out that there are 2amps)to some other brand and wattage, if yes to what and how do you like it. Also had static in my system mostly coming from the right front speaker and when I drive you can here wining in the speaker on the left, changed out the ignition lock cylinder and things have improved somewhat also changed the electronic portion of the ignition switch.Opinions anyone ? Thanx in advance:cool:

HMMMMMMMMM? I Wonder.....

The stock speaker is rated at 6 OHMS so one could reason that if I purchased a 4 OHM speaker, I could use in it place for the 6 ohm one, but I would run the risk of over heating the stock amp.

However, if a guy would buy a 4 ohm speaker and installed a 2 ohm resistor inline in the positve or negitive wire.... then you would raise the resistance to a total of 6 ohms right?

Just a thought.
Let me know what you guys think.
Tim :confused:

Questions on Prem Sound

I have a few questions on the premium sound. I just purchased a 90 XR7 (so happy...have 2 now 89 and 90) that came with the premium sound. The radio was ripped and the stock sub portion removed. After taking a look under the tray, the 4 channel amp remains!!! The speakers were also removed, but the clips remain in tact as well. It was posted earlier in this thead that the speakers are actually two each. I understand that the tweeter in the 5x7 is separate, but the clip to the speaker only consists of two wires. Does this mean that the speaker has its own little crossover in the actual speaker (5x7) assembly itself? I have a four diamond audio 5x7's that allow you to seperate the tweeter wires from the actual speaker for more clarity. Will I need a crossover to use this feature, or am I totaly wrong? Thanks in advance for your help.

Joe

Well guys I need some assistance from the pros. Seems like since I got my SC I've been more on performance and careless on the tunes, but now that it's summer time I need more than just 1 speaker working and then after hitting a good bump having all 4. Seems like a loose connection on the amp to the speakers...

I need some assistance on how to get to the amps to fix this.

thanks

-Tim

Yes you think it is a bad ground, or loose wire
I was hoping this for my 1990SC, too.
Eventually all the speakers don't work.
Or Just FM, then AM, Then tape player.

It ends up being the capacitors in these radios are bad,
and these radios have a heat disipation problem.
Radio guys will tell you this radio was never designed right. It's time to upgrade. Repairing these radios is expensive.

After replacing the radio 4 times, the radio
guy sold me one from a newer Taurus or Explorer that fit
beautifully.
The display is digital. All controls are digital.
And wiring was compatible with the CD player. My CD player
now news to be replaced for 3rd time.

Call Speedometer Service in Alpharetta, Georgia 770-569-8255
They will tell you MORE than you want to know about how poor this radio is.

Last edited:
Let me clarify my statement that I made in my previous post as it relates to premium sound system, everything is original with the exception of a pioneer radio/cassette/cd receiver, speakers and wiring are oem.:D

Being the installer here...

The premium system consists of 4 speakers. each speaker has a 5 1/4 midrange and a 1 in. tweeter. they are internally crossed over, so even if you upgrade, you get zip for bass. The amp for the 4 speakers does drive the signal for the sub amp. If you replace the sub with another, the stocker is only about 60 watts or so and I think the sub amp is about 80 watts if I remember hearing right. You can put a 4 ohm sub in as well. They use the same amps in the mach system, and they run at 4 ohm, all day. IF you are putting in a new radio, you will need one with preferably 2 pairs of rca preouts. The reasoning behind this is if you wire the speaker level inputs into the small black plug, and run it through the amp, you will only be able to get about 1/3 volume on your new deck, and you will be risking overdriving your factory system. My solution has been to go to radioshack, and wire rca ends onto the harness for the car, and just use the pre outs from the radio. It sounds much better and much cleaner. If you get one with sub control, you can run a pair back and with the combination of a y adapter, and cutters, cut and tie into the signal for the sub amp and have total control over it. This way, you can also tune and tweak it to its fullest. Also, I beleive the factory amp for the 4 speakers is only rated at about 15-30 watts per channel. Hope this helps. This is all common knowledge in my book. Any other questions, let me know.

Back