Flowmasters and cats

jjj_85

I just put a pair of 3 chamber flowmasters on my car with 2.25 inch exhaust. They sound nice but there only deep in 1 to 2500 rpm and then they mellow out. I was wondering if over time the mufflers with break in and get a little louder? I was also curious if i took my upper cats off if the flowmasters would sound nicer and would it be worth the power? thanks

i got the flowmaster force II from jegs. they were very quiet even with no cats. i took the resonator off the car is pretty loud. i get people all the time telling me it sounds good.nobody ever said they didn't like it."what do you got a 5 oh in that thing?"
joe

kenne bell makes a nice supercharger for the 4.6 birds you should check it out.save some cash up. that will give you a super lx

Last edited:
i have the flowmaster force 2 as well. when i first got it on it was QUIET. then i took the cats out and it sounded sooo much better. now after being on for close to a year they have a really nice tone to them (not metalic or anything anymore)

they are perfect when just cruising (nice rumbling tone) and when you get on it they are loud as hell :)

hope that helped

don't get that converson kit all you will need is a small piece of pipe to make up for the differance that is all i did cut the flange of and clamp or weld it. save the 100 bucks. i took my old parts off put the flow master kit on there and drove to cole and had them connect it to the resonator.cost like 35 bucks i have since romoved the resonater, cole did that for 50. the manager was pissed becuase he used a 90 dollar y pipe on a 50 dollar job.lol.
good luck
joe

don't know about the magnaflow resonator. very happy with my set up no cats no resonator and the force II flowmaster kit.
sounds bad dude!

Last edited:
Have you guys noticed an improvement other than sound? Also, I haven't been able to find anything that tells me the pipe diameters in this kit, any ideas?

i did get a noticeable amount of hp at about 3000 and above.

as far as diameteres... i think its dual 2.25 into single 2.75 back into dual 2.25. not 100% sure tho

Well, if I can't find a local shop, I think this is the best way to go--compared to $740 bucks. Cheaper to get this and swap out the mufflers and add the resonator than pop for the big dog up front. Sounds like an improvement over the stock size pipes, from what was said of their size in the other thread. May shoot Flowmaster an email to see if we can get an answer on the pipes.

Maybe I can get some new cat's in there. These are starting to smell it up every now and then. ;)

In the last couple days i think its got a little better sounding I was surprised on how much of a power gain i got. Great mod to go with the air system.

"I think this is the best way to go--compared to $740 bucks. Cheaper to get this and swap out the mufflers and add the resonator than pop for the big dog up front."

are you referring to the big dog exhaust from supercoupeperformance.com? i dont know too much since im still pretty young (just turned 17) but it seems to me the big dog exhaust is the way to go.

any objections to the bigdog i should know about? are there better ways to go about an exhuast?

not really an objection but i think 700 bucks is allot for that.for a few more hundred you can get another exuast and ported blower.
joe

I don't mean it's a ripoff by any means, don't mean to come across like that. It looks like the perfect solution, Magnaflow components, mandrel bent, specifically for SC's etc. It's not mass produced like a Flowmaster, so I'm sure it's not too cheap to make either. I just have to prioritize dollars and need. To me, a couple hundred more probably isn't worth it, even for the better system. I do want an improvement of course, but don't know if I could spend that much more, considering my needs. $740 is $740, however you look at it, and is a considerable amount to spend on anything--at least in my world. Who knows though, haven't done anything yet. ;)

i see. maybe ill change my plans to do just enough exhaust too free up the pressure so i dont run into HG problems but focus my main things on the important stuff..... like building a 4.2litre stroker :):cool:

Back