3.8l SC swap

kingsizeguitar

Hi, i just bought a 93' 3.8l LX. I also saw in the paper that somebody is selling a supercharged 3.8 motor. How hard would this swap be and if i did it, what other things would i want to change other than the engine.

I like the car i bought, rides great and has a bitchin interior, just wish that the car would actually move when i hit the gas pedal =)

i think the sc engines have a great deal more sensors and electrical things..i could be wrong..so dont quote me on this...but i'm not sure how long it would take for a swap....considering how the sc motor is built i dont imagine it bieng easy though..

btw...what kinda guitar do you have man?

kingsizeguitar said:
Hi, i just bought a 93' 3.8l LX. I also saw in the paper that somebody is selling a supercharged 3.8 motor. How hard would this swap be and if i did it, what other things would i want to change other than the engine.

I like the car i bought, rides great and has a bitchin interior, just wish that the car would actually move when i hit the gas pedal =)

It can be done, but why?

You would be better off getting an into a Used SC, and dropping all that loot into it, instead of fixing up an LX to be converted to an SC.
I know one thing about this, you will need the entire wiring harness from an SC, plus I'm sure a bunch more......suspension, etc. etc!

Just my .02¢......Good Luck on whatever you decide!

Calvin

Yeah, i wasnt too optomistic about it, but I figured it'd be worth asking some people who know about it. I figured i'd need a wiring harness and i imagined there was gonna be some electrical/fuel system differences too. Suspensionwise... well whenever i get a car i always want to make it handle better so i put in some nice sensatracs in it.

My car has kinda a neat story though - i bought a Z34 a year and a half ago for about 2 grand, since then i dumped about 2 and a half into it (stupid money pit). Fun car but filled with major design flaws. So then it started having a problem with the fuel pump cutting out, so bad to the point where it would do it once ever 5 to 10 miles... so i ended up trading it in for my Thunderbird and i got 2 grand in trade =) Not too shabby, Z34 w/ 174k and 800 bucks for a pretty good Thunderbird with 71k.

I was just thinking if i could get some more ponies out if this car it'd be cool. If not i might sell it, i just hit a deer, didnt really do much to the car but i'm getting 1800 from the insurance, so maybe i'll sell it and stick the 1800 with it and get a pretty nice SC. Or maybe i'll invest a slant 6 Mopar in good shape... i've got a 71 340 sitting in my garage :)

For the guitar - i've got a Gibson Les Paul DC Standard. What do you play? If you play bass my band needs a bassist.....

As a followup to what i asked earlier, are there any engine swaps that are fairly uncomplicated on a 3.8 Thunderbird? I cant imagine a 5.0HO swap would be that hard, but once again i could be wrong.

Back