why the erratic idle sometimes?

ddw350

hey guys...got a question,my 94 auto will idle up to 12-1400rpm then idle back down to normal after a second or two.it only seems to do it when i havent driven it in awhile.its been doing this for sometime now,but i always forget to post it.should i be concerned,or keep driving.....thanks for any help..

What you describe sounds like typical cold weather startup. Does it happen when its cold out? Also, you aren't touching the gas pedal when you start it, are you?

Here's a SC startup tip: Foot ALWAYS off the accelerator, turn key and hold while starting. By that, I mean don't let off after a second or 2 if it fails to start right away.. If you do let off before the engine starts, the EEC will tend to get confused and it'll advance the spark so much that the starter will bog badly. Turn key completely to the off position if you ever experience this and try again.

yes,it does seem to do it only when its cold,rainy and damp out.i'll try that method next time.i never gas it when starting,but i also dont turn the key all the way off either when it doesnt start up.

fuel injected cars prime the engine automaticly. if you give it gas before it starts you could foul the plugs.also it is not good to rev the engine before the oil gets all up through the engine.
joe

Back