First post here

Cbass

Hi, I've been lurking here a little while, trying to learn about Super Coupes. My neighbour used to have one, and I remember it being quite fast for a big car, so I figured it's got to be a pretty good engine! I started reading up on it, and saw 330ftlbs of torque at low engine RPMs!

So I started looking around, and I've found a 94 in my area that's been rolled... Everything is there, and in pretty good condition, but the car is a write off. The owner wants $2000 CAD for the salvage, and I'm thinking this would be the perfect powerplant and rear end for a little hotrod I'm working on.

To cut a long story short, I want to rebuild the engine, and I'm wondering what to do while I've got it apart, replace any weak link, etc. I don't want to stroke it or replace the crank, but I'm wondering how much the bottom end can take?

I was thinking just basic modifications, porting, headers + custom exhaust, and overdriving the supercharger by 10-15%. I'm not looking for too much hp, but what can I expect with this level of work? Thanks guys!

Your 94 Donor...

Well, since it is a 94 it already has alot of upgrades from the earlier models 89-93. High volume oil pump, better rods, S-Model Supercharger, 36# inj's that are actually about 34.5lbs inj's, and maybe a few there are a few others I have failed to mention...

Dpending on how well this motor has been maintained will lead more into your reliability question. As for a well maintained 3.8SC, it can be a very dependable eng...The bottom end of these motors can handle quite a bit of abuse and horsepower. From the sounds of your intentions, I see no real need for you to alter the stock rotating assembly...The one thing I would say could be a no, no would be the 10% overdrive pulley on your SC, cuz unless you have some really good flowing heads you could create more problems than anything else. There are several other theorys into the reasons not to go with the 10% OD pulley as well, and I am not gonna get into those...

Since your project is for a Street Rod and not to refurbish an SC, you may get better information on your "SWAP" at www.v6power.net

there are a few guys there that have swapped them into their stangs...

Good luck...

Back