Which MOTOR MOUNTS are better?

Red Thunder SC

Hey, I crawled under my '92 SC today to check the motor mounts, and sure enough, they are flat as pancakes (which incidently explains my horrible vibrations). What I was wondering is:

1. I am planning on replacing them with SOLID rubber motor mounts. Is this recomended. (I had someone tell me that solid mounts would increase the engine vibrations too much and that I should get the Ford fluid filled ones).

2. Any particular name brands out there that I should get, or specific places that I should be getting them from, or does it not really matter, as long as they are Solid rubber?

Thanks for the help guys,
Stephan

Check the part number listing. I put the numbers for the solid rubber Sealed Power parts in there a couple weeks ago.

Good luck,
Steve

Oh.. mine have lasted about 40K miles so far.

I've got the solid rubber mounts in two of my cars and did not notice any extra vibrations. The stock liquid filled mounts will only succeed in tearing apart again. I bought my mounts from mn12performance. Beware of the cheapy parts store "solid" mounts as some have proven these to be none too solid at all.

beware the cheapy solid mounts? I am confused, I thought that solid would be solid. How do I tell whether it is good or poor quality?

Some of the aftermarket parts store "solid" mounts are really just the oil filled mounts without the oil. Thus they can sell them for cheap (i.e. $20 a set). I believe many moons ago when Jason Marsh used to sell the mounts he cut a set of these apart to prove this point.

I just paid like $30 ea, how can I tell if they are solid or oil filled. They say solid on the side of them, stamped in the rubber.

Define "SOLID" motor mount

To us "old timers" a solid motor mount is when the engine is bolted to the chassis using a steel bracket, with no rubber insolators at all. Every vibration of the engine is transmitted directly to the chassis.

What SC'ers commonly referr to as "SOLID" mounts, are solid RUBBER, and thus will provide isolation between the engine and frame.

68COUGAR

FYI: When I say solid, I am refering to solid rubber, not steel to steel.

The mounts that I bought are made by a company called Mevotech, and are apparently "the highest quality", the part specifically is the Supreme motor mounts part # A2661SLD It seems like it is solid rubber?
Does anyone have any experience with these mounts?

Back