Exhaust manifold problem

SCChief

Just re-installed my motor and the manifold won't bolt on, the head studs stick out about 1/8 inch too much. Anybody had any problems grinding the manifolds to fit? I can't afford headers right now. Also, I am thinking about blocking off the water pump, don't need it here in Hawaii. Installed an external oil cooler to take care of the oil cooling chores. God I hope I can remember where all this electrical and accessory stuff goes.

i take it you used arp head studs. you shouldnt have to grind the actual manifold. the only thing you might need to grind is the washer for the bottom 3 manifold bolts on each side. i had to grind my washers quite a bit and it is just loads of fun trying to keep the flat side of the washer down so it will pass over the head bolt. im sorry did you say block the water pump off? what do you mean by that? you ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO HAVE A WATER PUMP! your car will surely over heat with out one. what does being in Hawaii have to do with it? also, if it is infact an sc that you have, it should already have an oil cooler, and the oil cooler would be completely useless with out the water pump!

Last edited:
I think he meant...

To block the passage to the heater core...Which would pretty much do nothing, other than maybe look unfinished...

Just my estimation...

Let me re-articulate my original post. I mean block off the water pump outlet to the heater core. I am not a complete idiot, even my meager Tennessee edumikashun knows the car needs a water pump, I have installed an aftermarket oil/transmission cooler to take care of the oil cooling duties. I am wondering if there are any other issues that could arise that I am overlooking. Many people out here block off the heater core and remove the thermostat, I am not going to remove the thermostat. Just looking for any advice or lessons learned from anyone else out there who may have done this.

Cut studs

If you indeed used ARP head studs, the majority of people that use them, including myself, have cut 1/4 - 3/8 off of the lower studs to clear the stock manifolds or headers.

Mike

You wouldn't gain anything by blocking off the heater core. If it leaked, yeah, but otherwise, why bother? I wouldn't waste my time with it. And actually it can get a little chilly at night sometimes in the winter months. At least it did 30 years ago. Maybe now with global warming it doesn't do that any more.

Back