idle troubles

35tbird

i just cleaned my contacts on my battery cables so my car runs now...but when it idles i might rev it a few times to 1900 and it droppes to 400, struggles for a sec, and goes back up to idling at 800....but it only happens a few times when i start it...

do you think it's the cold, or somethin else...i havent drivin for 3 days, i dunno about the gas..

and the battery is cleaned and full of juice..so rule that out...

thanks

oh..and my air bypass valve has been replaced recently a few months ago..so it's definately not that...

check your TPS (Throttle Positioning Sensor) It should be on throttle body directly across from the throttle linkage, small unit with three wires coming out of it. sounds like the sending wire is shorting, try wigling them with the car running to check?
Same thing happend on one of the other cars I had, only it idled a bit higher

Could just be that the EEC has not completed the "re-learn" yet. If you had the battery disconnected for any period of time, the computer will have to re-learn in order to maintain proper idle. There is a process you can go through, or it will re-learn on it's own after a while. When I disconnected the battery on mine a while back, it wouldn't idle for &h!t. Stalled every time I came to a stop. Took a while to straighten out by itself. If you crank it and just let it sit at idle for a while, then drive it around a little, it should calm down. (if the memory re-learn is the culprit)

Back