Anyone....Please help me!

Gregthespy

I just got back with my bird on a strecher she died on me in rush hour traffic on the way home from class today. A couple of days ago i noticed my gauge lights and dash would be really dim when i first started my car untill i revved the engine, then it would be normal. So i associated this with a diying battery so i went out and bought a new Duralast battery w/ 1000 CCA. the problem seemed better untill today when i was comming home from class... First i noticed my CD player acting strangeit began to shut off then immediatly turn back on then off....then on. untill i shut it off. then my firm ride light started flickering about 3 min. later. then my VMM totally went out for a sec then back on. Soon after i shut off all power consuming devices including headlights. i stopped at a red light and when i began to let out the clutch i felt like i had no power at all, sort of like my clutch didint engage but then it did and all was fine for about 5 minutes untill i was about a mile away from my house and stuck in stopped traffic, that's when all of my gauges started flickering on and off including my radio, this is about the time when I decide to creep onto the median as i let out the clutch i turned on my hazzard lights and she died....... When I tried to restart her nothing worked at all.... so i walked home and called AAA to get the dead chicken. If anyone has any idea what may be my cars problem I would really apreciate your input, as I need to get my car running ASAP as i have work and finals at school to get to this week! Any input would be helpful. I am charging the battery now with hopes of getting it running soon so i can try to pinpoint the problem.
Thanks in advance for your help,
Greg Roll

alternator removal?

I tested the alternator and it wasin't putting out much voltage but i'm not sure if it was my multimeter's fault so i'm removing it now so i can take it to Auto Zone and bench test it there, I work there so I will also be able to price a new one with 20% off. so hopefully it won't put too big of a dent in my wallet. I am stuck at a point in the removal of the alternator, I have it free from the Engine but cant seem to manuver it out from under the intercooling pipes does anyone have any tips or do i need to remove my I/C tube?
Thanks, Greg Roll

Junk Alternator

Just got back from Auto Zone and found that it was my alternator, turns out it was only putting out 2 volts! So I ended up getting a new one at $110.00, I also found out that the core is worth it's weight in gold, The core was $70.00!!
Well, I'm going to get to installing it now, Thank's Bob for the info. It was much appreciated.
Thanks, Greg

That is good. The alternators on the SC are really good. They are Mitsubishi and are not cheap as you have found. About $140 is the going rate for a re-build.

Glad I could help.

Bob

Your troubles have only begun..

Read my post about Autozone Alternators.. I'm on Duralast #3. 3 months... 3 alternators! If you don't want to constantly be calling tow trucks, and friends to jump start you only to stall out every 2 miles again, buy a rebuilt from Napa at least.

Duralast has a problem getting quality regulators in their rebuilts. This is the part that fails and it fails intermittently. A replacement regulator itself runs about $80 and my guess is they can't justify that on a part which retails for $130! so, they go with a lowballed bid on a crummy part instead and take their chances that it'll hold up.. It doesn't, but they've got a large fleet of trucks running back and forth, so they don't sweat much.

2nd thing you should do is invest in or obtain the following:
1. A charger. You need to charge the battery fully before installing the replacement.
2. A battery charge checker. This has 4 or more small plastic balls in a large medicine dropper looking thing.
3. Jumper cables.
4. A voltmeter.. Hook this up INSIDE your car so you can see whats coming out while you're driving. When it hits 12 volts, the battery light will come on and you're on borrowed time until you can stop and recharge the battery. Not too bad, you can drive on a full battery for about 3 hours as long as you keep electrical loads to a minimum.
5. A cellular phone to call someone whenever you run out of juice.
:cool:

Check Gauge light?

After finishing the install on the new alternator I checked my voltage and it was normal, then this morning I took her for a test drive and noticed that none of my gauge cluster worked, then it began working fine and hasin't done it again since. But now when I start my SC the "Check Gauge" light is on, Can anyone tell me how to check the codes or send me the link to a page with the procedure and code interpretations? I think I saw it in a link before and now cant find it. So if anyone could help me out, Thanks
Greg

Back