problems

94-5speed16

first, my power steering pump makes quite a bit of noise, i can hear it while the car is idling and it's even louder when i turn the wheel. I can hear the belt slip just a tiny bit when goin around corners sometimes, I already added fluid and it's now full. I'm thinkin it's probobly goin out but i figured i'd ask if anyone knew what this could be.

next, my tranny is shifting sloppily. It seems like sometimes it shifts fine and other time it's hard to get in gear or it grinds a bit goin into gear. I know that my shifter bushings are out because when i put it into neutral the shifter moves up and down about a 1/4 to a half inch either way. I'm thinkin that may be a big part of it. I'm planning on buying a B&M ripper shifter after christmas. Is there any other good shifters out there? The tranny fluid was changed last summer. I was thinkin maybe by puttin a larger tranny cooler on the car that that would help out alot, since it doesn't seem to start shifting as bad until the car warms up. Any suggestions?

last, my back right tire is making noise whenever i go over bumps it sounds like something is banging around in my trunk. I think it may be a shock but i'm not for sure. When i put my subwoofers in the trunk i noticed that the electronic control thing was disconected. I'm guessin the shock is bad and he disconnected it because it's bad. How much do shocks cost? I bet there pretty expensive.

thanks
dan

The power steering noise is a tough call. Basically all Fords have a power steering whine. Did it just start or has it been doing it all along?

On the shifter, there was an article floating around somewhere detailing a rebuild of the stock unit. Personally, I don't think the stock piece is that bad when it is operating properly. The B&M is the only aftermarket unit that I am aware of.

The clunking sound sounds like a shock mount or bushing. This is a pretty common failure.

5spd. SC

I have one and it is kind of flakey...After having it since 94 I have come to realize that it is the way it is for reasons I am not willing to exploer right now...Mine has ground a few times, and that to me is a sign that I am in too much of a hurry...It needs to be put through a few gears it will go into easily,then put in and out of the troublsome ones a few times after...For the most part I think my tranny is pretty good, since I have had no real problems with any of the tranny parts what so ever...

Tranny cooler is not an issue unless you are running an AUTO, and you are sportin' a 5spd. so that is not a concern...

Your PWR steering pump may be leaking and getting a bit of oil on the pulley & belt making the belt noise...Try some stop leak, you got nothing to lose, but start shopping around for a pump...I did this and have yet to replace the pump, so it does work sometimes...

The shocks are kinda spendy, and you have a few choices...Go to the homepage and look at the list of links of vendors...There you will find prices.

Also, it sounds as though you may be pretty knew to these cars as well as this sight...You should go to the new owners portion of the board as well as the FAQ section...You will find alot of answers to question you don't even have yet....

Cheers

For a good price on shocks go to shox.com. They have a great system made by tokico that fits like OEM, and they also have springs to replace the OEM springs as well.

I got a quote from them about a month ago for shocks and springs that was about $500 and some change. If you try to find the OEM shocks, they are pretty expensive, like about $130 to $170 from the local parts stores, and that is for the shocks alone.

As for your shifter, best thing that I can recommend for that is what I am going to be doing with my 90 5spd. For about $125 I am getting a local tranny shop to check it out for me and tell me what is going on with it. Mine also grinds going into some gears. I believe that I have a synchro or 2 going out in the tranny. So I'm going to get a list of what's wrong and fix it myself.

Good luck!

Back